AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't find a forum here at AVS that seemed like the right home for this question, so I'm posting it here since this is the kind of equipment that goes in a rack.

Which manufacturer's racks have y'all been happy with?

I'm looking for something that will have a built in look, from the front. I.e. it will be built into a wall. The back will be a closet area, meaning I'll have nice and easy access. Yes!

I may put a glass door on the front. This will be in a custom home to be constructed.

I'm thinking something that is probably black metal, and has pieces you put on so only the face of your units show.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Bob.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think that the most useful and functional racks out there are the Salamander Synergy racks. Come in some nice designs, almost infinately interchangeable/expandeable, and they are solid as all hell. The only thing is that they are extremely pricey. But, quality comes at a price. Hope this helped

·
Registered
6,240 Posts
I will also vote for the Salamander Synergey line.

I have a three shelf double wide that cost pretty close to a grand, but the thing is, it looks and feels like it should cost that much.

BGL

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Chuck and BGL. Looking at their website, this isn't really what I had in mind, as these are free standing furniture style units. I want something I can build into a wall.

Appreciate all ideas, thank you. Bob.

·
Registered
10,233 Posts
Another vote for Salamander Synergy line. I bought the twin 40 unit to house my gear without front doors. I thought my old Custom Woodwork Design cabinets were nice, but a pain if you needed to change layout. Every new piece I was using a jigsaw on the back panel.

The Salamander is designed for A/V gear. If you want to hide the cables or have gear with extra long depth, get the extended rear covers.

The twin 40 is one of the most solid racks I've seen.

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
JustBob, Have you tried looking at Sanus Systems. My rack is a black metal framing and its the most solid rack that I have come across. I mean no sway or leaning in any direction. Take a look at their racks at www.sanus.com

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LC - thanks for the sanus tip. It looks like all their products are furniture oriented, and that isn't what I'm looking for. The rack will be totally hidden in the wall.

JustBob.

·
Banned
3,181 Posts
i second the motion for middle atlantic.....

here is the link for an inwall rack that slides out for access....

http://middleatlantic.com/enclosure/roll/axsm.htm

if you don't need the rack to slide out then i would suggest a slim 5 rack that you build into the wall

http://middleatlantic.com/enclosure/knock/slim5.htm

or, if you want to do it the most economical way.... buy a set of rack rails... a set of 45 space rails are about $70.... just frame a set of studs exactly 19" apart and mount your rails.....(inside dimensions)

buy the standard shelves to set your equipment on.... or go fancy and get the custom rackshelves from middle atlantic....

·
Registered
126 Posts
First, the setup you describe sounds awesome -- walk-in closet to access the back of the equipment would be suh-weet!!!

Second, given that this will be part of a custom build job, you might want to ask the contractor if he (or she, I suppose) can make the perfect solution for you. Might save you some $$, since at least one of the suggestions above is a grand.

Whatever you do, post pictures afterwards.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.