AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My equipment ventilation fan is near completion. This baby really moves some air. It is a combustion fan assembly from an AoSmith power shot direct vent water heater. I used pvc sched 40 stool flanges pop riveted to a hush box/ filter rack. I have a small electrostatic cartridge air filter to collect the dust. The fan will push air into the bottom of the rack and also pull air from the top of the rack by means of 15' of sched 40 pvc with 3 90 deg elbows in-line. It is extremely quiet................can't here it from where I am sitting. The projector noise is way louder..........grrrrrr. Next project there me thinking. I am using a Honeywell T87 thermostat (24 volt) with a relay. The 24 volt transformer is mounted inside the cumbustion assembly black box located beneath the Fasco motor. Here is one pic of the setup and the rest are on my webpage.

Theater website-------> http://www.aquacatt.net/theatre

Any questions.....? feel free to ask

· Registered
283 Posts
Chris, that looks pretty sweet. If you don't mind my asking, is it a pretty cost effective solution compared to something like the Howell Technologies Cinemafan ? The Cinemafan runs about $500 retail.

· Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is pretty cost effective if you consider that new combustion fans for furnaces or water heaters are generally in the 200 to 350 dollar range. We get used ones all the time when we pull out furnaces or water heaters to be replaced. I can get them real cheap then.

· Registered
283 Posts
Definitely a powerful and good looking cooling system. It makes me think I wouldn't want to get too close to the intake for fear of getting sucked in;). For the price you mentioned, it seems like it would make a pretty good DIY project for someone with experience.

· Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A modified central vac system would be pretty sweet except that you might want to have locking rca connectors for fear of having all your patch cables sucked away:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.