AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have just assembled my Slim 5 43U but i believe the question is valid for any 4 pole rack.

Checking the equipment I have to put, some of the have already rack ears in front. Some of them have in the front and in the back. Some of them simply don't have both.

Obviously the ones without the ears, I will have to put in rack shelves. That is fine.

But my main concern is related to the ones with ears.

1- Rack ears in the front-

Patch Panels are easy since they are light but how can I be sure that a 50 pounds amp will be hang just using the 4 screws in the front rack years?

Is that normal? Using the 4 screws only to hold the equipment?

2- Rack years in the front and in the back -

Some equipment of mine has both. But how would I mount the back ears (in fact they are back/side ears) if each equipment has it is own depth and my rack has a 26 depth.

No equipment is that deep.

Should I use a kind of auxiliary side pole in the rack (maybe even more than on side pole since each equipment has a different depth) and tie to the rack back/side rack ears?

Would you who has this kind of rack please explain how you are doing in your solution?

Many thanks,

Ibsen

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
My 30 pound-ish solid state (class D, not tube) multichannel amps and UPS feel secure with just front rack ears, 2 screws into each vertical rack rail, for each ear. But they only came with front rack ears.

For the components with rear rack ears, I would call the manufacturer, or look in the manual at a minimum.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Yeah, I would check the manual on any components you have a question about - some may have accessories available to adapt rear rack ears to different rack depths?

The heaviest component I have in my rack is 35 pounds, and it hangs from the 4 screws on the front - RMX 850 power amp. I had it mounted the same way in a music gear rack for years, and never had a problem.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
My Emotiva amp seems to weigh 80lbs (probably closer to 40)and hangs from 4 screws though it isnt a "slim" rack. I would check with Middle Atlantic

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
See those slots in the top and bottom, and side brace of the Slim5? Two wood strips or metal flat bar could be mounted vertically and be used to support a horizontal brace (or simple L brackets). Adjust the vertical members front to rear and the horizontal brace can end up right under the rear feet of the amp.

My previous (very budget) rack was a 2 post computer rack framed into a narrow closet. I simply ran two vertical Unistrut rails screwed to the side walls, which supported the rear feet of an 80 pound amp by using large L brackets bolted to the Unistrut.

You might also check if most of your amp's weight is at the front. It often is, when there's a large torroidal transformer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.