AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Look... I like it. Don't get me wrong BUT...

I've already had to replace one set of guns in my Mits HD (burned on dealer floor and finally replaced by Mits after pitching a b****) and I don't want to pay for a set myself.

I am very careful about watching 4:3 material on my 16:9 HD set. I ALWAYS watched the stretched mode. I have learned to live with it but if I watch these... ah-hem "letterboxed presentations" on my 16:9, I have black bars even if I run in zoomed mode (which SEVERELY degrades the quality of an already sucky NTSC signal anyway).

I want to know who to prepare my letter to at NBC and to be assured that they're gonna pay for my next set of guns. You can bet your <fill in the blank> that they ARE going to but I just need some prepatory information.

OK... So the last paragraph is a little melodramatic but you get my point. I know there's not enough ER type shows to damage my set and I keep my contrast and brightness down so low it's a wonder I can even see it anyway but broadcasters MUST know this is a potential liability for them and a problem for their RPTV viewers at best. Eventually somebody IS gonna get sued over this. This whole thing is crazy with the proliferation of RPTVs being used and purchased in America today.

Why can't they just at least do it in a 16:9 format so we don't have the black bars. PLEASE... no purists BS in this thread. This is not about that. That's a different discussion and it's been beat to DEATH on this board. I don't even read those stupid threads anymore.

There are only 2 TV manufacturing sizes in America; 16:9 and the outdated 4:3 and most 4:3 sets are direct-view anyway and not near as susceptible to burn-in as RP sets. Fix it so we true adopters don't have to have our equipment damaged by your broadcasts.

Either put it in 16:9 HD and be done with it or leave it at 4:3. #@$$ or get off the pot as we say in the south.

I CAN'T possibly be the only one here concerned about the long-term effect of this should letterboxing become a bigger trend in the industry, can I????

------------------
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket!

·
Registered
364 Posts
If you getting black bars on ER on your 16:9 set then your set isn't configured correctly. I noticed on my Toshiba 40H80 manual that it says Theater Wide 1 is for letterbox but it isn't Theater Wide 2 is. My concern isn't the letterboxing it's those damn station tags they put on the bottom corner which if left on long enough will burn the tubes.

Jim

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I also have a Mits 16x9 set, 46". I watch letterboxed shows like ER, and seek out letterboxed movies on AMC, TCM, and other channels. I zoom them to fill the screen with no trouble. I don't understand why you're still getting black bars even when you're zooming.

I realize that the resolution isn't that great, and it sure isn't HD, but on my set it still looks pretty darn good. Maybe my eyes are getting too old to tell the difference.

Even though NBC is falling miles behind in the network HD race, I think this kind of presentation at least is preparing the public to accept the 16x9 format. From what I've read, there's been pretty good overall acceptance of it.

Just my 2 cents...

Mary

·
Registered
936 Posts

Mary,

You can do a "zoom" on the Sat material or DVD with no problem. However, with a RCA DTC100, when you pick up OTA channels, it thinks that those signals are in HD, and refuses to "zoom", or stretch, or anything else. Very frustrating. Good thing I don't particularly like ER.

Mike

·
Registered
196 Posts
There is no practical advantage to screening "ER" in a letterboxed 480i mode for the producers of the show, unless

they are getting ready to broadcast the show in 1080i HDTV thsi fall, and the NTSC version will be letterboxed to show all of the available image from the HD broadcast.

This would be contrary to what ABC and CBS do with SDTV versions of their HD shows, where they pan and scan the image to get a 4:3 version.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see ER available in HD this fall. Remember, the decision to deliver the show in SDTV or HDTV rests with the producers of the show - not the networks.

I think they are just getting everyone ready to watch the SDTV version in 16x9 from now on. What other possible conclusion could there be for presenting the show in thsi format?

KC

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin Colorspace:
This would be contrary to what ABC and CBS do with SDTV versions of their HD shows, where they pan and scan the image to get a 4:3 version.
Do they really pan & scan? I thought they just took the center of the 16:9 frame.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin Colorspace:
Remember, the decision to deliver the show in SDTV or HDTV rests with the producers of the show - not the networks.
Couldn't NBC just say "no . . . we are not going to pay for all that satellite bandwidth." (The bandwidth required to distribute an HD version of the show.)

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
It's much worse when watching on my local NBC station's digital broadcast with my DTC100. They upconvert the signal and consequently there are black bars on all 4 sides and since the DTC100 sees it as HDTV 16x9 format the DTC100's format modes (fill,full) are not available. So even though the picture is better on the digital channel the picture is so small I watch it on the analog channel. I hope we don't start seeing more of this type of format.

Jay

·
Registered
357 Posts
Most people I know that have 4:3 sets hate the letterbox shows on TV or DVD. It just makes their small TV smaller. So maybe this will actually make people go buy big screens? But I do not like letterbox anything it plain sucks to have to zoom and crop etc...

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
The set manufacturers are to blame for the loggerhead on conversion to 16:9. They could have introduced inexpensive 16:9 Standard Definition sets in the US and phased out 4:3 like they have done elsewhere. It would have been a coup for those interested in DVD and more channels would have added 16:9 programming.

I know a lot of people interested in HDTV who needed to replace their set but bought a 4:3 set for the "time being" until the price of HDTV comes down.

Yeah, I know they didn't introduce 16:9 SDTV in the US because it would "cannibalize" their HD sales. Well HD sales aren't exactly stunning and I would say those "brilliant" consumer electronics execs made a bad decision.

- Brian

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Quote:
I talked to a big insider at NBC . . . he says not to expect any more HD content from NBC this fall.
This doesn't surprise me at all. NBC sucks. I think you should start a new thread with this info in it to help make sure everyone sees it.

It looks like it is time for us to bombard our legislature with letters demanding that broadcasters live up to their commitments or return the spectrum. They only need 2 MHz for SDTV, not 6.

------------------

Rich Peterson

DBS Consumer Guide Author

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeKO:

Mary,

You can do a "zoom" on the Sat material or DVD with no problem. However, with a RCA DTC100, when you pick up OTA channels, it thinks that those signals are in HD, and refuses to "zoom", or stretch, or anything else. Very frustrating. Good thing I don't particularly like ER.

When using the DTC-100 and not watching a true hd broadcast, you should run a svid cable to your set on a seperate input. This way you are not locked out of your screen formats. There is no reason to watch non hd programs with the hd monitor on through your hd/dtv input. You will notice a better picture without the upconversion. Trust me. I do it this way and all of the programs look much better than on the hd/dtv input. I am using a DTC-100 with a Mits 65907. ER looks just fine this way without any blackbars. I am curious to what your experiences will be after trying this. Please post your results.

Mike

------------------

Kipp

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kippjones:
There is no reason to watch non hd programs with the hd monitor on through your hd/dtv input. You will notice a better picture without the upconversion. Trust me. I do it this way and all of the programs look much better than on the hd/dtv input. I am using a DTC-100 with a Mits 65907. ER looks just fine this way without any blackbars. I am curious to what your experiences will be after trying this. Please post your results.
This is quite curious. I have a DTC100 and a Mits. 55857 and ALWAYS view non-HD programs via the HD outputs of the DTC100. I have my TV connected both ways and have even put a button on my Pronto to switch between the two. Every time I have tried a comparison, the picture always looks better when upconverted by the DTC100 than when using the Mits. line doubler.

I have also noticed many posts on http://www.***************.com from people who purchased a Mits. TV and were very dissatisfied with the non-HD picture quality. After the bought a DTC100 and used it for viewing non-HD they were much more statisfied. Is your line doubler set to 480p or 960i? Are there any other unusual settings that you are usings? You seem to be one of the few who prefer the Mits. line doubler. Thanks.

Jay

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
Jay,

I just did all of the tweaks and calibrations from the "Spot" and used the Avia dvd to calibrate the svid input. I was surprised myself with the results. I prefer to only watch hd programs on the hd input and non hd on the svid. I do watch some digital broadcasts on the hd input but if I am not pleased with the pic quality I switch to the svid input. I have spent alot of time getting my set to where it is. Alot on the recommendations of Paul at the Spot. My svid is set to 480i.

------------------

Kipp

·
Registered
A Samsung 65" QLED UHD TV... Onkyo AV Receiver... Polk Audio Surround Sound Speakers...
1,169 Posts
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I talked to a big insider at NBC . . . he says not to expect any more HD content from NBC this fall.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's in direct conflict with what one of the engineers at a local NBC affiliate mentioned to me in an e-mail a couple of weeks ago. He indicated that we can expect to see more programming from NBC this fall and that they are installing a digital distribution network for that purpose. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.