AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I am upgrading my stereo . I need a pair of speakers and they will be driven by Peach Tree Audio Decco ( 50 Watts Amp). Room is about 14X14 feet.

I have heard Era Design 5 and liked it but i can get energy rc10 for just $299 but Era Design 5 pair is $560 (Demo pair).

I am currently using PSB Albha b1 and looking forward to upgrade the system.

Anyone has listened to both speakers????

Thanks in advance.

- Manikandan Krishnan

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Get the Era D5's.

I have a pair of Era D4's and they are truly excellent.

Reactions: iammarko

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Great price on the ERA D5 for sure. I call it the heaviest little speaker on the planet.

If you step up the PSB Speaker lineup you will find the Image B15/25. Both are excellent too. They most certainly will be easier to drive with the Decco. The B25 would sound amazingly good with it.

·
Registered
14,791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang /forum/post/16988856

I have heard the D5. Since you like it, and at $560, you should jump on it.

Curtis,

What are your thoughts comparing the D5 to the Sierra-1s? I heard the D5s a couple of years ago and thought they were a great sounding speaker. At the time I compared them to the Dynaudio Focus 140s but I preferred the 140s.

Bill

·
Registered
1,244 Posts

Quote:
At the time I compared them to the Dynaudio Focus 140s but I preferred the 140s.

Yeah, not really a fair comparison. The Focus 140 costs double that of the D5. Still, the 140's will each the D5's lunch.

The D5 does a lot of things right, but it's still a very small speaker and has it's limits. One thing I like about it is you can play it extremely loud and it remains surprisingly in control in the in the lower frequencies. This speaker is best served when driven by appropriate amplification, though.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac /forum/post/16990070

What are your thoughts comparing the D5 to the Sierra-1s? I heard the D5s a couple of years ago and thought they were a great sounding speaker. At the time I compared them to the Dynaudio Focus 140s but I preferred the 140s.

The Sierra is a more capable speaker. Deeper extension, a bit more extended highs, more transparent.

But, if someone asked me for a B&M speaker at $1K, I would suggest the D5...no question.

I never did the 140 side by side the D5, only each next to the Sierra in different environments.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttowntony /forum/post/16990267

The D5 does a lot of things right, but it's still a very small speaker and has it's limits. One thing I like about it is you can play it extremely loud and it remains surprisingly in control in the in the lower frequencies. This speaker is best served when driven by appropriate amplification, though.

Agreed. Worth noting that in my room, it took a bit more power to drive them to the same levels as the Sierra, and the Sierra is not known for efficiency. I was using a 500wpc amp.

For $560.....that is a screaming deal.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang /forum/post/16990322

Agreed. Worth noting that in my room, it took a bit more power to drive them to the same levels as the Sierra, and the Sierra is not known for efficiency. I was using a 500wpc amp.

For $560.....that is a screaming deal.

The input here has been accurate about the D5s. One thing that is important to know is that they want amps that put out a lot of current. You're well served by the Decco in this regard as it was made specifically for speakers like the Era D4 and D5 (they are both made by the same parent company, Signal Path Intl.). A Nova would be even better, but the Decco will put you in good stead.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts