AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've had my Sony 60r550a TV for about 5 weeks now and love the picture. However, yesterday I noticed a white round spot on the right edge of the screen (about 1/4 up from the bottom-maybe 6 inches?) about the size of an eraser head (maybe a bit larger). It is noticeable on white scenes but is also observed in other light scenes. It is in EXACTLY the same position which led me to believe it was actually one of the edge-lit led's. Maybe dust behind the screen during manufacturing? I need to control my OCD because I find myself "looking" for it now. I've read stuck pixels are black/red/blue so don't think that's the problem. Just wanted feedback as to whether it's a major issue. I have very minimal clouding/bleeding issues. I hate to call Sony as they will put you through time consuming UNECCESSARY procedures. Thanks.

·
Registered
22,149 Posts
If it bothers you, get it replaced or repaired while it's under warranty.

Depending on where your purchased the TV, get it exchanged.

·
Registered
284 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedrik  /t/1523645/eraser-sized-white-spot#post_24512727

Hi, I've had my Sony 60r550a TV for about 5 weeks now and love the picture. However, yesterday I noticed a white round spot on the right edge of the screen (about 1/4 up from the bottom-maybe 6 inches?) about the size of an eraser head (maybe a bit larger). It is noticeable on white scenes but is also observed in other light scenes. It is in EXACTLY the same position which led me to believe it was actually one of the edge-lit led's. Maybe dust behind the screen during manufacturing? I need to control my OCD because I find myself "looking" for it now. I've read stuck pixels are black/red/blue so don't think that's the problem. Just wanted feedback as to whether it's a major issue. I have very minimal clouding/bleeding issues. I hate to call Sony as they will put you through time consuming UNECCESSARY procedures. Thanks.

To me, it sounds like there is a separation in the panel which can then break contact in the super thin wires to the pixels. If that happens, the pixel only receives information for white. Usually happens in the larger panels due to flex - I've read about this same thing happening lately with 2013 70 inch Vizio E-series panels.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks-I can deal with it since the picture is fantastic, overall. It seems to have become more translucent rather than white and now less noticeable. I had taken a cloth and tried to "massage" it closer to the frame edge with no success. I probably never would have noticed it had I not read all the reviews of light bleeding/clouding issues causing me to "search" for defects! As one poster stated (not sure if here or Amazon) "just watch the program and stop looking for defects".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts