AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, forgive me for starting a new ERC-1 thread.

I am currently playing CDs thru 2ch. analog on my Oppo BDP-83. My pre is a Yamaha RX-V665, I have an Emotiva XPA-3 for amplification and my speakers are Boston Acoustics VR970s. Bottom line; for the most part I think it sounds real good. One of the main reasons I bought the BDP-83 was for it's SACD performance. The problem is, my CD collection is huge, and I am just starting to get into SACD listening. So...........

Is the ERC-1 that much better of a CD player than the BDP-83? Am I truly going to notice audio improvement? About my music; I listen to everything from Pantera, Megadeth, Dream Theater, to Barry White, Sade, Tears For Fears, Michael Jackson, etc., etc. I love it all!

If anyone can please help sway me one way or the other I would really appreciate it. If the Oppo is as good as I am going to hear, I can sleep well knowing that. I just would hate it if there was better CD-playback available for a reasonable price, and I was missing out.

Thanks to all in advance.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
Unfortunately, this is really one of those situations where you yourself must listen and evaluate personally whether or not you percieve audible differences, and then further if audible differences are present which player you subjectively prefer.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSE /forum/post/18174743

Folks, forgive me for starting a new ERC-1 thread.

I am currently playing CDs thru 2ch. analog on my Oppo BDP-83. My pre is a Yamaha RX-V665, I have an Emotiva XPA-3 for amplification and my speakers are Boston Acoustics VR970s. Bottom line; for the most part I think it sounds real good. One of the main reasons I bought the BDP-83 was for it's SACD performance. The problem is, my CD collection is huge, and I am just starting to get into SACD listening. So...........

Is the ERC-1 that much better of a CD player than the BDP-83? Am I truly going to notice audio improvement? About my music; I listen to everything from Pantera, Megadeth, Dream Theater, to Barry White, Sade, Tears For Fears, Michael Jackson, etc., etc. I love it all!

If anyone can please help sway me one way or the other I would really appreciate it. If the Oppo is as good as I am going to hear, I can sleep well knowing that. I just would hate it if there was better CD-playback available for a reasonable price, and I was missing out.

IMHO (and experience) disc players do have SQ (Sound Quality) differences.

FWIW, one of the better recent threads on subjective SQ comments is in the Blu-ray disc player forum titled "Official BDP-83SE Analog Audio Discussion Only Thread" see: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1194011

Given the proviso that I don't own any Emotiva gear, I like what I've looked at (on their web site) and suspect that their ERC-1 is an OK value.

I think it comes with a 30 day no questions asked return policy (less shipping; check that by calling them up).

The one down side that I see is that it only plays CD discs, so that now you'll need space for a 2nd disc player. Or maybe forget about the ERC-1 player, and have Nuforce (sp?) upgrade your Oppo BDP-83 to a BDP-83SE?

OTOH, I personally think that everyone should have more than one disc player.

By getting an ERC-1 and since you already have an Oppo BDP-83, you'll be able to do your own A/B comparison.

Cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts