AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my latest situation... I moved to an Abit KG7-Raid mobo last week... got everything upgraded and moved over and all was extremely well... I'm so happy with this board, I can finally capture video on demand with a

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Have you Removed and replaced the mouse with a diffrent mouse? It could be that the mouse died on ya or is in the process off dieing. So replace that and go from there.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I've had that mouse wackiness problem on and off, too, and don't know the cause. One thing - at least when I have it, the keyboard continues to run fine. So, if you know the keyboard shortcuts for what you're trying to do, you may be able to continue to work. At the very least, you should alt-F4 your way out to do a clean shutdown, instead of a reset. You didn't say what kind of mouse you're using. I've had the problem with an Airboard mouse myself. I don't know if it's related, but I just hooked a USB hub to my computer, and it started happening again. I haven't had the problem in quite a while, and I used to have a USB hub. You wouldn't think it could be related, but you never know.

Anyway, without knowing anything else, I'd assume your reboot problems have more to do with your resetting in the middle of a disk write causing disk corruption, than anything mouse related. I could be wrong, of course, but it couldn't hurt to let the scandisk run, and see what happens. If your disk is corrupted, though, there's a good chance scandisk won't help anyway.

- Dave

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Well you can change ram and all that stuff,

but I like starting with the cheap stuff then working my way up ;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a KT7-RAID board in my non HTPC machine, and I have had problems with it properly sharing its IRQs. If I remember correctly, I think the RAID controller uses the same IRQ as PCI slot 5. I had a SB Live! card in there and it caused me troubles to no end. Including audio 'clicks' when moving the mouse, spontaneous reboots, and all other manner of oddities. I'd check on that.

Hope that helps!

John

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I must say you've all helped me in some fashion... time to tinker this weekend.

JZink - I think I'm running into this same scenario... I'm going to try moving my Aureal from that slot to 6 or 4, and see what happens. Were you ever able to over come your issues?

Figgie - I can pick up the RAM locally for $54... and for some odd reason that sounds cheap to me, cheaper than trying for swapping out some other components.

DaveT - I also have a USB hub hooked to this machine, for that EA gaming - gotta have four players! :) Wonder if that has anything at all to do with it... the thing that may help here, is I noticed this board has four ports already (via extender), so if I could find some 10' extenions cheap, I could probably do away with the hub. Hmm...

As for the corrupted disk - I know it was probably bad, but there didn't seem to be any disk activity when I smacked the thing, so I hope I'm okay... I generally run a full scandisk and disk defrag in the overnight every few weeks.

My last option in all this is to format it and go with XP... I'm really hoping that the rumored SP1 will correct my SpDIF problem and WinDVD is transferable across OS... I knew I should've gotten it on CD!

thanks.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Opps. I neglected to mention that I'm doing all this with an Airboard IR... I replaced the batteries about a week prior to all this going down, so unless Energizer doesn't make them like they used, I'm fairly certain it wasn't a mouse related issue.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Ok, I thought so. As I said, I've seen the same. I have a slight suspicion that it could be related to my USB hub, but don't understand how (IRQ conflict?).

Anyway, my guess would be that the mouse issue is a red herring, and your reboot problems are due to resetting in the middle of a disk write.

- Dave

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Chuck

54$ comapred to 15 bux for a mouse.. well you tell me what is cheaper ;) As for having an air board. Even more reason to try a mouse connect dir4ectly into the PS/2.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yes, I was able to get it resolved. As soon as I moved the SB Live! all was well.

I'd also try a wired keyboard. I know with my wireless, it can do odd things, especially if the batteries are low. I've never had it reboot, but I have had caps lock get stuck on and seen the wrong keycode get to the PC. It sounds like you're having much bigger problems but its something else to check anyway,

John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.