AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my DV-09 for about three years and until yesterday it has peformed flawlessly.

Now, whenever the unit is powered on, it displays what seems to be some kind of error code, followed by the tray opening. Any attempts to close the tray or load a disc results in the tray opening again after a few seconds. I can't seem to get any display from the player at all (even though if I hit 'Menu' when the tray is open the LED display on the front shows 'Setup' as if it's gone into the config menu).

The error code is: 2 OC/38-18

I've tried leaving the player disconnected from the mains for over a day but no luck. The player hasn't been moved at all recently, nor damaged. It was playing just fine the night before it 'died'.

I've run a Google search on error codes for the DV-09 but haven't foun anything on the web at all. Has anyone ever seen anything like before and if so, managed to get it sorted out?

Since I'm in the UK, sending it back to Pioneer US is not an option.

Thanks

Rob

·
Upgradus Interruptus
448 Posts
Rob, I have not had that error on my DV-09. I did get a code that was unlisted on a Mits S-VHS VCR. I ended up sending it in for repair to Mits ans they had to both replace a blown part (Lightning damage) and reset a sensor to remove the error message. I would call Pioneer and arrange an RMA for the unit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have EXACTLY the same scenario. Was working fine, and now the machine just won't reset. I've been told the error is that the player is in "service mode", and that it will cost big bucks to get it out of service mode. This sounds bizarre. Why isn't it just a reset button, or a special hidden IR code or something? I don't want to have to upgrade to a newer DVD player. Any ideas anyone?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I'm glad somebody else has a similar problem. Since I'm in the UK I don't even know where to take it to be looked at. Half the repair places I've had experience of in the past barely know how to fix a toaster, let alone a $2000+ DVD player running on 110v!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bummer, Rob. I sent a note to the Pioneer service department (via their website) and they simply said it was a mechanical/internal error and that I had to take it to a Pioneer service center. It's there now ... I haven't heard yet the cost to fix it or any further explanation. Funny thing is, I had similar problems with the drawer stopping in mid-position and the unit turning off before, but without the "internal code". It's amazing something so "simple" as a DVD player can be so complex ...

Even though the DV-09 was about $2000 new, and a "better" unit (the DV47) is available now for "only" $1000, I'm having it fixed since I spent a lot of good money on a Faroujda scaler (2300 model) a few years ago, and I don't need the progressive scan capability (though I wouldn't mind the SACD and DVD Audio capability). Unless the tab to repair it comes in for more than I can stand, I'll simply have it fixed ...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Blimey, it's been a while since I posted this :)

I never did get around to getting the DV-09 fixed. It just seems such a hassle trying to find anywhere prepared to work on. I gave up in the end.

I've just ordered the new Denon DVD-2900 (£700 delivered) which gives me everything I want in a player.

Of course, the question now, is what the hell do I do with this DV-09?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.