AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I posted this already in the LCD forum but on second thought I probably should've posted it here in the first place. I've tried browsing old posts for an answer to this question but couldn't find one.

TV: Samsung 52a750

GPU: nVidia 8800 GTS

The problem:

For some reason, when using a straight VGA connection the PC wants to boot into 640x480 and the TV rejects it with "mode not supported" error message. (Max resolution for the GPU is 2560 x 1600.)

I'm able to get a picture using a component connection, and it looks ok, but it doesn't quite fill the screen.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Should I try a DVI-to-HDMI cable or will it give me the same bad news?

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
That TV is 1920x1080 native but it may not support 1920x1080 over VGA. Some do, some don't. Check your manual. If it does it should be a simple matter of setting your desktop to 1920x1080. If it doesn't you will need to use a DVI>HDMI cable or component.

I'm not sure why component doesn't fill the screen, what resolution are you running? Not sure how Nvidea cards handle this, but you should be able to get this to fill the screen with correct video card settings.

BB

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Read the PC chapter of your Samsung user;s manual. It will tell you exactly what resolutions it will accept over it VGA, composite or component video interface and I would not be surprises if 640x480 is not one of them. The minimum might be 800x600.

The do and F8 boot into safe mode which will let you set the resolution to be used in normal mode and then reboot into normal mode.

DVI/HDMI normally acts exactly the same as component and that is also descibed in the PC chapter in the user's maanual.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.