AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i attempt to play a dvd or hddvd disc i receive an error msg. That reads " this disc is not dvd format" any one know what the issue causing this? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
16,252 Posts
It would help if we knew what player you are using.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
When i attempt to play a dvd or hddvd disc i receive an error msg. That reads " this disc is not dvd format" any one know what the issue causing this? Thanks
I expect the player is unable to read the discs you are trying. Is this a player you have had for a while and it has always worked ok? If it does this on all discs, and you have tried a number of them you know are good, then the laser assembly in the player may be the culprit. You might try cleaning the laser lens.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I purchased this new , when the blue ray vs. HDDVD war was on. I picked the wrong side! It has been working last time I used it about 6 months ago. I have tried several discs and regular DVD's getting the same msg. I'll try what you suggest. thx

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will try the newer update , but you'd think it would still recognize the disc with the previous update. if it is a hardware error will this update remedy that? if it does not is there something else I can do for the hardware issue? thanks

·
Registered
226 Posts
You can check on ebay if you find a cheap broken A2, A20 or XA2 with an error anything else than drive related. They all have the same drive. Some players got stuck on WELCOME during a firmware upgrade. Those players should have a perfectly fine drive. Then you can just swap the drive. But I guess HD DVD players are so cheap now that you can just buy one fully working. Your HD-A2 was one of the early models that don't support Full HD, so you will get better picture with a bit newer model.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can check on ebay if you find a cheap broken A2, A20 or XA2 with an error anything else than drive related. They all have the same drive. Some players got stuck on WELCOME during a firmware upgrade. Those players should have a perfectly fine drive. Then you can just swap the drive. But I guess HD DVD players are so cheap now that you can just buy one fully working. Your HD-A2 was one of the early models that don't support Full HD, so you will get better picture with a bit newer model.
thanks for the information and assistance

1 - 10 of 10 Posts