AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot for the life of my play king kong on my a1.


I burned a disc to upgrade my firmware, seems to have worked since I went to maintenance then update.


The numbers I have are 2.0/1.09/2.0R


From doing a search the error I got 4049C or something, was related to people having old firmware, I have the current firmware, and still get this error.
 

·
Guest
Joined
·
2,606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo /forum/post/0


Rather lately on the screen its just been showing Error, code 0x81000c03

Hey maybe unplug it and wait a few seconds and then plug it back in. Reboot the player and see if this helps. If not, contact Toshiba and have them mail you a 2.0 cd and reload it. If that does NOT fix it then you may need to get it repaired. Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,131 Posts
When you get the error code press and hold in the power button on the player (not the remote) for ten seconds until the player shuts off completely then the player will reboot on the next power up. I have had to do this on a few discs to get the player to play them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just got back home the bad thing is I am only home for certain weekends of the year, so this is not something I cant deal with in strides.


I will try the things mentioned here though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still every time at 32 seconds into king kong it freezes I held the power button on the machine and same thing. Sometimes I get the 4049C on the A1 itself but always when I open the tray I get Error on the A1 screen display and on my projector I get 0X81000c03 cannot play disc.


Im going to try swapping my copy tommorow but I dont think it has anything to do with the disc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo /forum/post/0


Still every time at 32 seconds into king kong it freezes I held the power button on the machine and same thing. Sometimes I get the 4049C on the A1 itself but always when I open the tray I get Error on the A1 screen display and on my projector I get 0X81000c03 cannot play disc.


Im going to try swapping my copy tommorow but I dont think it has anything to do with the disc.

Wouldn't bet on it. I had a bad Chronicles of Riddick fresh from the store. It would not play past a certain point. Swapped it out, second one plays fine. One word of caution, be very careful with these discs and this player. Fingerprints can cause all kinds of problems and even small scratches can kill a disc outright.


SD discs on the same player are not as prone to this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,513 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskollar /forum/post/0


Wouldn't bet on it. I had a bad Chronicles of Riddick fresh from the store. It would not play past a certain point. Swapped it out, second one plays fine. One word of caution, be very careful with these discs and this player. Fingerprints can cause all kinds of problems and even small scratches can kill a disc outright.


SD discs on the same player are not as prone to this.

I just had a bad copy of Casino, also. It seems to happen. Hopefully this is your problem... Honestly I believe it IS the disc, because the problem always happens at the same time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well after cleaning the brand new disc there the odd fingerprint, probably mine or my wifes on the back, nothing major, now it only freezes yet in one spot right at the begining when he gives that presentation for whinchester.


I think I have to swap this one out to, I am hoping these are mostly just unluckey discuss, other then that the 2 dvd's i played worked fine. And the rest of the movie played once threw again except that part mentioned about.


It would be really sad especially in the rental business if the a1 couldnt play something because of a small smudge.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,730 Posts
The HD players definetly have a freezing issue still... All my discs are purchased brand new and still cleaned with Plexus spray before use and I still have the occasional freeze during different movies
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,646 Posts
Out of 38 new purchased HD DVDs I've had a stutter/bad spot occur maybe three times. In each case when I ejected the disc from my XA1 I've seen a fingerprint or smudge that I swear that I did not do. A few lateral swipes with a clean moistened lint free tissue from the center to the outside always fixed it. I guess I got lucky and got a better aligned/clean lens NEC drive in my XA1. Not a problem for me. But I wish those smudges would not happen.
YMMV.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,243 Posts
Sounds more like an issue that could be improved with tissueware!


Interesting reading... I joined the HD-DVD club last week and am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my new HD-XA2... I see that I will need to treat the discs with kid gloves (or perhaps clean, lint-free 100% cotton gloves!).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo /forum/post/0


Could this issue even be improved with firmware?

One theory is that smudges put the player error correction software to work, which uses much CPU, and there is no margin in the first generation player hardware. When pushed too far the software crashes and machine locks.


I read that some individuals reduce CPU load by turning off audio processing (by selecting bit stream I think) and something in maintenance, and found less chance of freezes.


The only time my XA1 skips and/or freezes is when playing HD disks that I had not pre-cleaned. The dirtier the disk the more likely the player will freeze than the video just skipping.


Do the second generation players handle smudges better?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,646 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase /forum/post/0


I read that some individuals reduce CPU load by turning off audio processing (by selecting bit stream I think) and something in maintenance, and found less chance of freezes.

The idea is to set the SPDIF to PCM if you are using the 5.1 analog outputs. That avoids the extra player real-time task of doing a re-encode of the audio to 1.5 Mbps dts for S/PDIF output.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top