AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I recently purchased a Thermaltake BlacX Duet SATA-to-USB2.0/eSATA HDD enclosure, and have been trying unsuccessfully to get 2 SATA HDDs to be available to my computer over eSATA.

Here are the specs:

MB: ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO USB3 (with AMD SB850 SATA controller)

OS: WinXP Pro 32-bit SP3, running all SATA devices in AHCI (set in BIOS)

I researched, and thought my mobo's chipset has port multiplier capability for SATA/eSATA (when set to AHCI mode).

Anyway, I plugged two SATA HDDs into the Thermaltake, booted up the PC, and entered BIOS to check for any "port multiplier" settings for SATA devices (there were none). Also, while in BIOS, the mobo was able to see the 2 HDDs in the Thermaltake over the eSATA cable. So I thought "Great!"

But when the PC finished loading Windows, neither one of the HDDs was visible. I then powered down and tried one HDD only and that was okay. I tested both slots individually and the result was the same - eSATA works with one drive in WinXP, but not two.

So has anyone else with the Thermaltake BlacX Duet ever tried attaching 2 hard drives over eSATA to their PC running WinXP? BTW, I did verify that my mobo has the latest available WinXP AHCI driver for the SATA controller. I may have overlooked something so I'm posting here.

Thanks in advance for any feedback

·
Registered
764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad Theimpaler /forum/post/20808791

Hey all,

I recently purchased a Thermaltake BlacX Duet SATA-to-USB2.0/eSATA HDD enclosure, and have been trying unsuccessfully to get 2 SATA HDDs to be available to my computer over eSATA.

Here are the specs:

MB: ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO USB3 (with AMD SB850 SATA controller)

OS: WinXP Pro 32-bit SP3, running all SATA devices in AHCI (set in BIOS)

I researched, and thought my mobo's chipset has port multiplier capability for SATA/eSATA (when set to AHCI mode).

Anyway, I plugged two SATA HDDs into the Thermaltake, booted up the PC, and entered BIOS to check for any "port multiplier" settings for SATA devices (there were none). Also, while in BIOS, the mobo was able to see the 2 HDDs in the Thermaltake over the eSATA cable. So I thought "Great!"

But when the PC finished loading Windows, neither one of the HDDs was visible. I then powered down and tried one HDD only and that was okay. I tested both slots individually and the result was the same - eSATA works with one drive in WinXP, but not two.

So has anyone else with the Thermaltake BlacX Duet ever tried attaching 2 hard drives over eSATA to their PC running WinXP? BTW, I did verify that my mobo has the latest available WinXP AHCI driver for the SATA controller. I may have overlooked something so I'm posting here.

Thanks in advance for any feedback

The Egg has PCIe cards starting around $25. Don't know the size of your PC case, but the cards are pretty small.

BT

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjterry62 /forum/post/20814063

The Egg has PCIe cards starting around $25. Don't know the size of your PC case, but the cards are pretty small.

BT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbrit /forum/post/20814137

$12.74 plus shipping

Thanks to you both. I'm kinda hesitant about gambling with mail order. Looks like a crapshoot whether or not these products have the right type of port multiplication (from what I've read) for use with the BlacX Duet, and in the case of Newegg, returns are a major pain (they don't pay for return shipping, that's on you... and they charge a 15% restocking fee for nondefective merchandise).

I may just keep the BlacX Duet as is, and just throw in a fresh eSATA PCI bracket and attach it to one of the available SATA ports on the mobo. (I already have an older Thermaltake BlacX eSATA single disk enclosure tied to the mobo's built in eSATA port.) If I really want to get two hard disk drives going on the Duet simultaneously, I have the USB 2.0 option... slower, but it does work.

Thank you once again for your replies

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbrit /forum/post/20814137

$12.74 plus shipping

I had a similar problem with my mobo, in that I wasn't sure whether the eSATA was port-multiplier compatible or not. It seems like it isn't, but one of those cards from monoprice solved all issues.

Thank you! Just to be absolutely clear... you have used that Monoprice PCI-e card to attach your PC to 2 HDDs simultaneously over eSATA with the Thermaltake BlacX Duet dual drive enclosure? TIA for any confirmation of this

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
I have used it with another two-port dock. Have you read that the Thermaltake is a special case - it shouldn't be. The SiI3132 chipset is probably the most popular consumer port-multiplier chipset in use, IMO. I have used it with various other boxes including Sans Digital 4 and 5 bay units, as well as a Mediasonic 4-bay case.

It's currently attached to his item:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Here's an excerpt from a NewEgg review of a card with the same chipset :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newegg reviewer /forum/post/0

Easy install. Works great with my Thermaltake BlacX Duet Hard Drive Dock. So much faster than using a USB connection. Super easy install. Pop the card in, turn the computer on.

Of course, it's your call, and I'm just steering you in the direction that I think would be best. I take no responsibility etc. etc.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbrit /forum/post/20814453

Of course, it's your call, and I'm just steering you in the direction that I think would be best. I take no responsibility etc. etc.

Understood, no worries... just wondering if the experience you posted earlier was w.r.t. the BlacX Duet.

And I really do appreciate your latest post, as you've done some legwork on my behalf regarding the BlacX issue. The Newegg review gives me a lot more confidence.

I'll order one of those cards on my next cable order from Monoprice. (I agree they are a good company.)

Thanks again, fitbrit

·
Registered
2,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad Theimpaler /forum/post/20814790

Understood, no worries... just wondering if the experience you posted earlier was w.r.t. the BlacX Duet.

And I really do appreciate your latest post, as you've done some legwork on my behalf regarding the BlacX issue. The Newegg review gives me a lot more confidence.

I'll order one of those cards on my next cable order from Monoprice. (I agree they are a good company.)

Thanks again, fitbrit

You're welcome. Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.