AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been running Fireball PC on an old XP machine that is now bricked. I have looked everywhere for a copy of the software but Escient is defunct and no longer has links to their old free support software. has anyone got any ideas or direction for me to find this software file or a reasonable substitute that will mesh with my Escient system? I am running a DVDM300 indexing 3 Sony CD/DVD Jukeboxs. Any help much appreciated. Also, has anyone had any experience running this software on a Windows 10 machine?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Many Tanks

I had been running Fireball PC on an old XP machine that is now bricked. I have looked everywhere for a copy of the software but Escient is defunct and no longer has links to their old free support software. has anyone got any ideas or direction for me to find this software file or a reasonable substitute that will mesh with my Escient system? I am running a DVDM300 indexing 3 Sony CD/DVD Jukeboxs. Any help much appreciated. Also, has anyone had any experience running this software on a Windows 10 machine?

I appreciate the help that I received from forum members. You are lifesavers! You know who you are!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Escient DBM100 still usable as Sony CD changer controller?

Hi all,

I bought an Escient Fireball DBM100 with the intention of having it control multiple Sony CD changers. I didn't spend a lot, but after connecting it to one of my Sony changers and a wired internet connection, it appears it's not possible to get past the CDDB load. The Escient seems to recognize that a changer is connected, but it says the changer is not responding when looking to load metadata even though the changer powers up with the Escient and the Escient appears to be looking for CDDB. The changer seems to see the Escient as it starts the lookup "2nd Detected" but says "2nd Missed" about 30 seconds into the CDDB lookup. So it appears that the DBM100 is phoning home to Escient and not finding it, it times out after 65 seconds.

I realize I could probably manually enter all the info for the CD library, and in that way get the Fireball playlist/grouping functionality, but is an Excel import possible somehow? I have over 1000 CDs to date, and I already have a CDDB lookup macro written in Excel VBA that I could use to build the Fireball database. Also, I know about Slink-E but the market for those seems to have dried up recently. Does anyone else know of alternatives? I was hoping to use the Escient for its ability to do custom playlists, omit tracks, omit players from playlists (so e.g. I could identify one player as my wife's stuff, much of which I dislike, and omit it when she's not home), and I was also hoping to use the ability to switch among multiple optical inputs. I'm gradually working toward all FLACs, but my Sony changers are working fine and I like them, I've rescued quite a few so far. What I don't like about them is the limited onboard options for programming, grouping, and playlists.

So in short, will I ever be able to use the Escient for the desired functions for controlling 15-year old Sony CD A1 II changers?

TIA for any help.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
We have replaced several Escient systems with myServer.
We have full support of the Sony CD changers.

You would need: a Windows PC 7 - 10 with .NET installed, Sony changers, myServer software, myMovies software, AV Family license, Serial RS232 cables.

·
Registered
29 Posts
We have replaced several Escient systems with myServer.
We have full support of the Sony CD changers.

You would need: a Windows PC 7 - 10 with .NET installed, Sony changers, myServer software, myMovies software, AV Family license, Serial RS232 cables.
Would this also require additional hardware, is that what the AV family license refers to?

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Hardware:

Internet connected Windows PC running 7 - 10 and .Net
Installed on that PC: myServer application and database, myMovies application, AV Family license (this is a $99 piece of software that allows hardware to be supported like Changers and Receivers and Whole house audio amps etc).

Serial cable(s) from PC RS232 port(s) to Sony Changer

Sony Changer(s)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hardware:

Installed on that PC: myServer application and database, myMovies application, AV Family license (this is a $99 piece of software that allows hardware to be supported like Changers and Receivers and Whole house audio amps etc).

Sony Changer(s)
Thanks, read the doc on your site and realized it needs to be a serial connection. I have the older A1 II connectors only, no other serial input on my changers.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hardware:

Sony Changer(s)
Thanks, read the doc on your site and realized it needs to be a serial connection. I have the older A1 II connectors only, no other serial input on my changers.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Ok, I think I remember that is where the Slinke comes in...we also support the Slinke.
I think you could also use IR...either a GlobalCache a USBUIRT or our own USBIR6 IR device.

Of course my real recommendation is to rip your music to a hard drive. MUCH better user experience. And less hardware to break.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
well, myServer supports Sony multidisc players (probably one of the few remaining control companies that do)....but most all folks have ripped their content to hard drives to simplify the media enjoyment process.
Read some of the prior posts in this thread for some details.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts