* Owns Rio for portable devices

* Owns Replay for PVRs

* Owns Escient for jukebox devices

* Invested in Mediabolic for network entertainment software

Not too shabby!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Heh heh, Scott Jones has been trying to unload escient for some time now. I dont think its been a pretty picture cash-wise. Notice the phrase "D&M buys assets". That sounds like a fire-sale to me. but then he probably needs the money for his menagerie...

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hopefully they'll start by getting rid of ALL the escient employees... they are simply awful. The worst support and the buggiest product I have ever bought.

Amusingly, the only product Denon has that works with the Escient stuff, the DCD-5001 was discontinued last year.

Must not have been in the planing too long.

Also the Escient licensing deals are equally interesting. Alot of Denon/Marantz's competitors have licensed/standardized their systems on escient s/w. I wonder if this could be as much a jab at them as a boost for D/M.

Very interesting.

Escient's software is just too sensitive. Moody software has no place in HT especially at the center of an interface. It looks pretty when it works, but is too glitchy to make anyone want to buy all the hardware it requires.

I like both Marantz and Denon, so it should be interesting to see if the can resurrect escient.

BigRed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.