AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When set to 960P I'm getting dark horizontal streaks that go all the way across the screen. I get a picture that I can see under the streaks that looks really sharp but the dark bands or streaks won't go away. All other resolutions come in great including 1365x1024 but my screen is 16:9 so I've been using the 720P res which looks really good. My projector is Barco Graphics 1209 which will handle 960P no problem and that's the resolution I would like to use.

I have contacted ESI and spoke to Frank but he hasn't got back to me with any answers. Could it be a problem with the scaler or maybe the projector ? I have tried shifting the horizontal phase on the projector back and forth but it makes no difference. Maybe I should post this in the CRT forum.The frequency that comes up on the screen for 960P is 62.5 Hz. Any ideas ?

Thanks,

Rod

·
Registered
475 Posts
Can't help you with your problem... but maybe you can help me. I've been interested in that unit for my Hitachi 5600 LCOS. I know that my projector won't support 960P, but was interested in your general impressions of the scaler, especially any strongs likes or dislikes. It's not a common unit on this board (probably why you've received no replies), but they are readily available at some good prices.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Toddalin,

It's an excellent scaler for the money. As far as how it compares to the CenterstageHD or Lumagen or others I can't say, but I can tell you I like it better than my last scaler, a FE Quadscan Pro.

It has more features like Black Level Enhance, a feature normally found in a DVD players menu. But with the VLS-2000 , you can use the black level enhance on any source (except HDTV which is a straight pass through). Initially though I had both scaler and DVD player (RP-82) set to black enhance and the picture was too dark, I lost details in dark areas. I found best results so far with my setup with DVD enhance on and scaler set to normal, but I'm still experimenting with it. The nice thing is now I can use the black enhance to watch regular TV (S-video input from digital cable box). I reallly like this feature and I'm not sure if the any of the other scalers have it or not, but I don't think so.

Another nice feature is the adjustable noise filter. With high quality sources like dvd I leave it on zero, with cable I'm still undecided. You may want to turn it up a little, but so far I use zero setting for this source also.

The detail level adjustment is the one that really surprised me. Initially I left this on 5 on a scale of 0-10. As I mentioned in another thread, I was watching BladeII and on a close up of Wesley Snipes face as I turned up the detail I could see more detail in his face and on level 10 I could see into the bottom of every acne pit on the poor guys face. From now on with a DVD source detail is on 10. Hey I didn't buy a 9" CRT to watch a soft "filmlike" picture. I want to see every pimple.

As you can probably tell I like this scaler. Its easy to operate, it works well and its inexpensive. I'm sure there are better ones, but for the same money I doubt it. Now if I could only get it work with 960P ! If no one can help me figure this out I may ask ESI to send me another one . I might have a defective unit.

Thanks,

Rod

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Rod,

regarding the 960p dark streaking... Did you ever try just plugging the output into a computer monitor, to see if the problem was present there as well? If it is, then you can eliminate the 1209 from the equation, and feel more comfortable about asking ESI to send you another unit.

- Tim

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tim,

I plan on doing just that this weekend. I have a viewsonic monitor that will display 960P, just have to wrench it away from my wife's computer long enough to do the test. If the problem is still there with the monitor, I will call ESI and they will send me another scaler. Frank at ESI said he would send me another one but he wanted me to hook it up to a computer monitor first as you suggested.

Honestly it looks so good at 720P I haven't really missed having 960P, but after John Gannon comes to tighten up beam spot and calibrate, I'm thinking I may need 960P.

I've been thinking about your suggestion in the PM (sorry I haven't had a chance to respond) about buying a Lumagen Vision to try before John arrives. I may do that. It would be the perfect chance for a comparison of the two scalers. If indeed they do have 30 day trial period, I wouldn't be out anything. Unless of course I like the Lumagen better, then I would have to sell the VLS-2000 for a loss I'm sure.

A couple of other observations about the VLS-2000 after living with it for a bit:

Since I was able to adjust the astig on the blue gun so that it doesn't bloom when I turn up the contrast, I find the setting I like now with DVDs is black enhance "ON" on both DVD player and VLS. That setting really gives awesome blacks and since now I can turn up contrast to about 70 with no blooming, the picture is very bright and punchy with excellent black detail.

As far as the detail level on the VLS, I've found that I still like it turned up to 9 or 10 on most DVDs. I would say taking it down to 8 or 7 gives it that "filmlike" look, but for me I want to see every detail, that's why I have a 9" CRT. I watch cable at level 8. I must say cable into the s-video on the VLS looks for the most part outstanding, way better than I thought it was going to look. The cable image upconverted to 720P from the projector is way sharper, for example than my 65" widescreen Toshiba HX? in the living room.

Noise filter is still at zero, I have not encountered a situation where I wanted to turn it up. I have tried, but it softens up the picture too much for me.

I don't mind not having OSD. Since I sit right by the equipment rack, I can make fine tune adjustments during the movie without driving my wife wacky with on screen displays. Seems as though every DVD reqiures a different level of detail, color sat, etc.

That's all I have time for right now.

Thanks,

Rod

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tim,

Tonight I did try my viewsonic 19" monitor with the VLS-2000 and guess what, 960P looked fantastic. In fact, except for a bit more "noise" , it was difficult to tell the difference between that upscaled res and HDTV on the monitor. I was switching back and forth between BladeII at 960P and Scooby Do on HBO-HD. So I can eliminate the scaler as the culprit. Apparently my projector doesn't like 960P, but its not like the resolution is too high because 1365x1024 looks fine. I don't understand.

Here's something I haven't mentioned. I can only get an image with the scalers output set to RGBS. I can't get an image with input #5 on the projector, which is RGBH-V and the scaler set to RGBH-V. In fact, it doesn't matter if only 3, 4, or 5 BNC's are hooked up. Source #4 (RGBS) is the only input on the projector I can get an image. I'm not sure if this makes a difference. When I hooked up the monitor though, I had to change the output on the scaler to RGBH-V to get an image. Why?

Thanks for the info on the Lumagen, it sounds like a no lose situation to get it now. I must decide soon.

Thanks,

Rod

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
stopdog wrote:

> it was difficult to tell the difference between that upscaled res and HDTV on the monitor I can eliminate the scaler as the culprit. Apparently my projector doesn't like 960P, but its not like the resolution is too high because 1365x1024 looks fine. I don't understand. Here's something I haven't mentioned. I can only get an image with the scalers output set to RGBS. I can't get an image with input #5 on the projector, which is RGBH-V... I can't get an image with input #5 on the projector, which is RGBH-V and the scaler set to RGBH-V. In fact, it doesn't matter if only 3, 4, or 5 BNC's are hooked up.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tim,

The noise could be scaling artifacts, hard to tell on such a small monitor. But they were very minor, most would probably not even notice.

The picture on 960P is darker than it should be, with black lines, not even spaced and not constant. They grow and shrink and move up and down the screen. I guess black may noy even be the best description, they can be lighter in color than the picture. And the picture can be way too red or green depending on the scene. Also there is a constant black bar about 6" thick across the top of the screen where there is no image. It's all jacked up for sure.

Today I tried using an old Extron box that I had lying around as an interface but it made no difference, same problem.

I'm going to call ESI on monday and have them send another scaler. I will tell Frank about the RGBH-V not having the problem, maybe that will help him figure it out.

But if there is a sync on green problem with the output of the VLS, why is it only on 960P res ?

Rod

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi,

I just spoke to Frank and Norman at ESI, they are sending me another scaler to try. Frank said he could test the sync on green signal with a test generator at 960P to make sure thats working ok on the unit they send me.

Also there has been a firmware update since I bought my unit, I'll get that too.

Nice folks at ESI.

Rod

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Rod,

did you ask them if the RGB-HV syncs were negative (or could be made so)? Did you try the Composite-sync mode setting on the VLS, as suggested above (to avoid syncOnGreen into the Barco)?

- Tim

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tim,

No I forgot to ask about the sync on the H-V setting, thanks I will ask. If they can make the H-V sync negative if its not already it may work with the Barco, I see now. I don't think it is user selectable.

I did try the composite sync but no picture. I do get a picture on the YsPrPb setting though. Is that strange?

Thanks,

Rod

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Problem solved thanks to VideoGrabber and ESI.

Tim you were right. The VLS-2000 does put out positive sync on RGBH-V. I confirmed this with Frank at ESI. ESI sent me a new chip that outputs negative sync (Barco Likes) and now RGBH-V works fine on input #5, also I have no more problem with the dark bands at 960P on RGBH-V output. 960P looks outstanding.

ESI also sent me a second chip to upgrade to version 2 software. This fixes a "shimmering" on the blue output at low luminance levels. It works great although honestly I didn't notice the problem before.

By the way ESI sent these chips UPS RED overnight. Also sent a board diagram and instructions on how to replace the chips, it was very simple though. All at no cost to me. That's great customer service.

Thanks,

Rod

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Rod, that's great news. Glad to hear you got the problems resolved, and the excellent service you received from ESI.

> 960P looks outstanding also I have no more problem with the dark bands at 960P on RGBH-V output

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tim,

The dark bands are still there at 960P RGsB, but like you said who cares. The picture on RGBH-V does look like better. I would describe it as smoother with greater "depth" and less noise at 960P on RGBH-V with no loss of detail. I am elated. Thanks a lot.

Rod

·
Registered
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stopdog
\\ESI also sent me a second chip to upgrade to version 2 software.
Do you know if this is something they will do for all recent buyers? And do you know how to check which version one has? I bought my VLS-2000 about two months ago and of course want to make sure it is up to the most recent rev :D

David

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
David,

Sorry I don't know if they will do this for everyone. I would call or e-mail Norman and ask him. As far as how to check, they told me to look at the menu when it powers up and it should tell you what version you have. But I didn't see anything like that. You could try unplugging it and plugging it back in to see.

Rod

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.