AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://www.socceramerica.com/index.c...&art_aid=30541

Quote:
Contest kicks off the final round of 2010 FIFA World Cup qualifying series for both teams ESPN2 will televise the 2010 FIFA World Cup qualifying match between the U.S. Men’s National Soccer Team vs. Mexico Wednesday, Feb. 11, at 7 p.m. ET, live from Columbus Crew Stadium in Columbus, Ohio. The telecast, available in high definition on ESPN2 HD, will feature the CONCACAF (Confederation of North, Central America and Caribbean Association Football) regional rivals in their first match of the final round of the 2010 FIFA World Cup qualifying series.

ESPN’s lead team of play-by-play commentator JP Dellacamera and analyst John Harkes will call the game with sideline reporter Pedro Gomez, who is fluent in English and Spanish and has handled several sideline reporting duties for U.S. Soccer and MLS events, including the 2008 MLS Cup on ABC.

The February 11 match will mark the third straight final round of FIFA World Cup qualifying matchup between the two CONCACAF powerhouse teams in Columbus. In the first meeting Feb. 28, 2001 - dubbed the “Guerra Fria” (’Cold War‘) because the game-time temperature topped out at 29 degrees - for the 2002 World Cup, the U.S. won 2-0. Four years and six months later, Sept. 3, 2005, the U.S. team earned a place in the 2006 FIFA World Cup in Germany with another 2-0 victory over Mexico.

The U.S., Mexico, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Honduras and Trinidad & Tobago are the six nations competing in the 10-game home-and-away series, Feb. 11 - Oct. 14. The top three teams will automatically advance to the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa.

The fourth-place team will compete in a two-game playoff to be held Nov. 14 and 18 against the fifth-place team in the South American (COMNEBOL) World Cup qualifying series.

Good to see them get this one in HD this time around.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu /forum/post/15551363

Great news. Of course I'll cross my fingers that somehow Columbus on Feb 11 will be above freezing.

I'd rather see it below freezing, let those warm blooded "el tri" from south of the border freeze their little nuts off

·
Registered
547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefbal99 /forum/post/15551512

I'd rather see it below freezing, let those warm blooded "el tri" from south of the border freeze their little nuts off

Couldn't have said it better
We play in the altitute at Mexico City, they have to play with 0F in OH

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
USA ... USA... USA

should be a good one

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
That should be a really good match. The temperature is not that important, it affects both teams. Most of the players, in both teams, are used to play in warmer weather, but there are also a lot that play in Europe where temperatures are not that warm, specially at this time of the year.

For the USA team, Columbus is more important because they have a full stadium that's more pro-USA. And you know that's hard to have in almost any other stadium.

I don't have high hopes but... VAMOS MEXICO!

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu /forum/post/15551363

Great news. Of course I'll cross my fingers that somehow Columbus on Feb 11 will be above freezing.

I will be there again and I hope it is below freezing just like in 01. That's partly why we scheduled it there... in addition to the demographics of the region, the greater control of ticket distribution, and the smaller capacity.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsra13 /forum/post/15555918

That should be a really good match. The temperature is not that important, it affects both teams. Most of the players, in both teams, are used to play in warmer weather, but there are also a lot that play in Europe where temperatures are not that warm, specially at this time of the year.

For the USA team, Columbus is more important because they have a full stadium that's more pro-USA. And you know that's hard to have in almost any other stadium.

I don't have high hopes but... VAMOS MEXICO!

Yeah, it didn't impact La Guerra Fria I, with Mexican players not wanting to go out for warmups... right?

DOS A CERO

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
At that time we didn't have a lot of players in Europe, I think it was just Marquez.

But I think it's the same with the altitude. Not all the players play in Mexico City, so really the altitude affect both teams. The major impact of playing in Mexico City, is having 100,000+ people supporting your team.

Right now, this is a classic, like Brazil vs Argentina in South America, so I think the players are really motivated not matter the circumstances.

But yeah, I tie will be a great result for Mexico.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Regarding Azteca I disagree. The altitude is a big advantage since Mexican players play their more often. If we played there more than once every four years, and other countries played there more regularly, you'd see some different results.

Play us in Monterrey and see what happens

·
Registered
298 Posts
AARGH. The Dayton-Xavier game was scheduled for this time slot. What happened to college basketball on espn? First pro basketball and now european football??????? UGH............................ ESPN owes America an apology. This is getting completely out of hand.

This game should be put on ESPN Deportes.

·
Registered
466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylab /forum/post/15565041

AARGH. The Dayton-Xavier game was scheduled for this time slot. What happened to college basketball on espn? First pro basketball and now european football??????? UGH............................ ESPN owes America an apology. This is getting completely out of hand.

ESPN would rather show a game people care about.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Let's make the Green Bay game last year with the Giants look like the Pro Bowl.

It's awesome to have this game in Columbus, Ohio and also in HD.

Great news.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ESPN has stated due to other coverage they will not be able to do early pregame coverage or much post. Oh well. I'm sure they will still show the red Don't Tread On Me TIFO (organized display) that is planned. Be disappointing if they don't get anthems aired.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Usually, ESPN telecasts within the US are in HD, and broadcasts originating outside the US are in SD, unless they are massive events like the World Cup.

Oddly enough, this winter season, NBC did the reverse. Their coverage of the Alpine Ski Racing events in Colorado were in 4x3 SD, while this past weekend's coverage of the Alpin Ski Racing World Championships in Franch were in 16x9 HD (or at least 16x9 very professionally upconverted 540i - it was hard to tell since the white-on-white and poor lighting of ski events are very difficult to photograph).

·
Registered
4,967 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyes /forum/post/15558068

I will be there again and I hope it is below freezing just like in 01. That's partly why we scheduled it there... in addition to the demographics of the region, the greater control of ticket distribution, and the smaller capacity.

Well, it looks like it'll be in the fifties - have a good time, will be watching on ESPN2 in glorious HD.

Go USA!

·
Registered
6,903 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylab /forum/post/15565041

I just love posts like these.

This game just proves why they are called the try-colors.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
What a great win for the USA, love seeing the home matches in HD. Hope to see some of the away legs in HD if the host country has the infrastructure. That means prolly only the game at Mexico.

However, there has been a bunch of cricket in HD from the Caribbean islands in the past year or so (even on ESPN) maybe we'll get lucky.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts