AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did you notice all the digital garbage in the grass on the wide angle shots just before the snaps?

The grass looked "alive" .... DirecTV is mangling things again [sigh]

Bob

·
Registered
948 Posts
It's not DirecTV as this topic is being discussed in another thread. Even people with cable complained about the PQ last night on the wide shots. IF you want to do a poll you should at least ask if they are watching on cable, D* or E*.

·
Registered
734 Posts
People b*tch WAY too much. Put SD football via Direct on a bigscreen and then you can complain. Last night's game looked great.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DerekFSU
People b*tch WAY too much. Put SD football via Direct on a bigscreen and then you can complain. Last night's game looked great.
And here's the answer -- since it's better than SD, it must be great.

By chance, are you watching ESPN-HD on a 15" screen? I could see how it could look great under those circumstances.

·
Registered
734 Posts
No, because it is WAY better than SD, that make's it a great looking picture. I'm watching it on a 73" RPTV and it looks fabulous. I'm sure that you see all kinds of horrible things in the picture. I thank the lord every day that most HD programming looks wonderful to me so I am not tormented by less than "looking out a window" pictures. I am Joe Sixpack and ESPN HD looks great. Oh the torment that you and some of the folks must go through on here when having to endure such horrible pictures as those presented on HD channels. So, how did you make it through the last however many years of your life with just SD?

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Quote:
No, because it is WAY better than SD, that make's it a great looking picture. I'm watching it on a 73" RPTV and it looks fabulous. I'm sure that you see all kinds of horrible things in the picture. I thank the lord every day that most HD programming looks wonderful to me so I am not tormented by less than "looking out a window" pictures. I am Joe Sixpack and ESPN HD looks great. Oh the torment that you and some of the folks must go through on here when having to endure such horrible pictures as those presented on HD channels. So, how did you make it through the last however many years of your life with just SD?
I agree 100% with you on this. How about those Noles!!!

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Quote:
I guess I was spoiled by HDNet. HDNet puts ESPN-HD to shame.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I do agree that HDNet is the deal. Amazes me that one guy can put together a station that absolutely shames all the networks that have been around for a hundred years. Again, I guess I just don't have the eye for it, but ESPN HD only looks slightly worse than HDNet for the most part and I still consider ESPN HD to be a great picture. I would call HDNet a stunning picture.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by steverobertson
I agree 100% with you on this. How about those Noles!!!

They looked sooo good against Georgia Tech (a team that, this week, lost to Clemson by 36 at home) *sarcasm*

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
I noticed it, but I also notice is on every CBS HD game so far this year

It's still better than not having it in HD so I won't complain

Also, unfortunately, I only sit about 5' from the screen (55") so more flaws are recognizable since I sit so close.

Derek is probably sitting 15' from the TV

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BHeld
Did you notice all the digital garbage in the grass on the wide angle shots just before the snaps?

The grass looked "alive" .... DirecTV is mangling things again [sigh]

Bob
Unlike the plastic "grass" that is used in the Minnesota Metrodome, the grass down here IS alive.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wjbjr
Unlike the plastic "grass" that is used in the Minnesota Metrodome, the grass down here IS alive.
Metrodome does NOT have "plastic grass" (not til next year)

We have "carpet"

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Yesterday I came home from a week away from my 55" HD set and was watching TV on a standard cable feed on a 23" TV for about a week. I first noticed that once I arrived home and turne on the game in HDTV on CBS that there was a bit of pixelization and rought stuff in the picture, then tuned to the ESPN-HD game later in the night to see more of the garbage. Something happened in the last 2 weeks, or I am just needing to re-adjust to HDTV. I shouldn't have to readjust when I am going UP in PQ from a SD broadcast. I was a bit suprised that I was seeing the garbage in the picture that I was. I hope this was a one time mistake, it'll make that switch to E* look even more appealing if it's not fixed soon.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I'd come up with some witty comeback about a Minnesota college football team but it's not even worth a comparison. At least you'll always have ice hockey.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Quote:
I'd come up with some witty comeback about a Minnesota college football team but it's not even worth a comparison. At least you'll always have ice hockey.
Here I'll help you (this is what you should've said)

"At least my team actually plays someone, who have you played"

there you go.

I'm not a gopher fan, but I am an NCSt fan, hope they kill ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
577 Posts
Quote:
I do agree that HDNet is the deal. Amazes me that one guy can put together a station that absolutely shames all the networks that have been around for a hundred years.
The reasons are:

HDnet is seen by 100% HDTV owners, so the use of cameras, placement within the widescreen area, and everything else is just right. And they know how to keep things simple and just let the HD picture speak for itself.

CBS, ESPN, etc, plays to 99% watching SD 4x3. So they ignore the area outside the 4x3, throw in tons of stupid SD cameras that they somehow think is needed, and generally mess things up. What a pity.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I think it's about time to start sayign "screw the SD viewers" and getting people interested in the 16:9 HD/SD sets. They're wasting time and not getting the technology to advance as fast as it could with their current framing for 4:3 sets.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I watched it on my crt projector in 1080i and noticed artifacts, maybe from the conversion. I switched to the native 720p and everything went away, nothing but smooth pic.

I could only see artifacts on fine detail such as the crowd far away ... but only in 1080i. In 720p it looked better.

·
Registered
734 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.