AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just subscribed to DirecTVs HDTV package. I am totally impressed with HDNet quality and Discovery when it plays HD content. I flipped to a baseball game on ESPN HD.... YUCK! It reminds me of regular cable tv/svhs quality. I hope that the game I saw was not filmed in HD... but then again that's the purpose of a HD ESPN channel.

Anyone else experience lackluster quality from ESPN HD?

I'm using the Hughes E86 receiver.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
You were probably watching a standard definition stretch-o-vision presentation. If you actually see something in HD on the channel, it should look pretty good.

Sean Dudley

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Watch Sunday Night Football this coming week and you'll see awesome HD. Remember ESPN-HD is only in HD for certain events. See their web site for a full schedule. HD 24x7 for ESPN is still about a year out.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,651 Posts
Only a few programs per week are in HD. See the HDTV Programming Synopsis for details, and a link to the ESPN HD schedule.

·
Registered
17,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bonscott87
Watch Sunday Night Football this coming week and you'll see awesome HD. Remember ESPN-HD is only in HD for certain events. See their web site for a full schedule. HD 24x7 for ESPN is still about a year out.
It'll be longer than that. Sportscenter starts in April, then other shows will eventually be added one by one. Other shows not produced by ESPN will air in HD as they become available. For example, PTI and Around the Horn are produced for ESPN by outside production companies, so they will only be in HD if provided that way. Because those shows also air on ESPNews, both HD and SD versions will need to be available so there are complications there (however, programming schedules do change, so that may not always hold true). Other shows produced for ESPN may simply not have the budget for HD and certain ESPN produced events with smaller audiences will continue to be in SD for a while until more equipment/facilities become available. Keep in mind that when the new building opens, it won't be complete. Sets will continue to be constructed, additional control rooms will be built and more remote trucks will be added to the lineup to be able to bring more events to the HD table. 24-7 HD is still a ways off, however, by this time next year they should be around 50-60% if you take into account studio shows, late night re-airs of shows and the additional live and taped event broadcasts that should be possible. Older series shows that occasionally make appearances from the vaults will continue to be upconverted, though the NFL films presentations should be available in HD in the near future (NFL films is currently re-digitizing their archives at higher resolutions). Within two years the percentage should be up toward 75-80%, though archived shows and such could cause this number to fluctuate.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wrkh99
Watch the Vols VS AU game Saturday night :)

Right Sean ?
Absolutely. This Tenn graduate is having a blast-- two weeks in a row in HD.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.