AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just checked the ESPN-HD web page to see if it had a schedule. The last time I checked it just had a static graphic. Now it is much more complex with many links but the don't work. Also the formatting of the page is messed up. It says that Sunday Night Baseball is in HD tonight, March 31st.

Apparantly it is a work in progress. No wonder there is no link from the main ESPN page.

The address is www.espn.com/espnhd

Roy

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by royrose
Apparantly it is a work in progress.
Thank you for the understatement of the day.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Why, though? They should not make it live until it's ready. Criminy, "Anaheim" is misspelled as "Aneheim"!!

Very poor.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
They misspelled it because they don't care about the Angels anymore...Disney just sold them!:D

·
Premium Member
48,895 Posts
Precisely what about ESPN-HD ISN'T a mess at the moment?

What a brilliant marketing plan Disney has executed so far. The ESPN-HD website is just another manifestation of their idiocy. If any sports team's management had bumbled its way through an opening few weeks like ESPN's executives have, the ESPN sportscasters and analysts would be calling for mass firings in that team's front office.

Sure, we may (or may not) see ESPN HD on more MSOs and satellite systems some day -- perhaps even soon -- but the longer the stalemate, the more we all lose.

Thanks, Disney. I am sure the Disney-Murdoch fights in the future will be even more fun to watch (or not watch, as the case may be.)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Webmaster 101 never go production till the Web project is polished and tested.

Must be using kids for the web work to cut costs to pay for the new HD facilities.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
The only one I'd seen before is this one:

ESPN-HD Logo with Upcoming Progamming

The "new one" looks like it should be filled with good information. But clearly it's not ready yet.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Beyond bad

Hopefully the programming will be better :)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Here's an article where they're being lauded for embracing the latest standards in web development (i.e. dropping support for Netscape 4).

http://devedge.netscape.com/viewsour...-interview/01/

The article refers to their main site at

http://espn.go.com/main.html

which doesn't seem to have the same 'issues'.

It looks like someone mistakenly published the hd site, when it is ... ahem... not quite ready for public consumption.

I can sympathize. I know how many different people can be involved with a large commercial site. Something like this can happen quite easily.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Actually, the FINAL version of the web page is absolutely beautiful. The only problem is that there are very few ISP's that are actually carrying it.

:D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
220 Posts
Looks like they have some corruption .... the source code is trying to load the cheesy MSN header they must use .NET with frontpage extensions.

I guess they don't have much traffic to that site yet or it would have been fixed by now.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by 1080iAddict
Actually, the FINAL version of the web page is absolutely beautiful. The only problem is that there are very few ISP's that are actually carrying it.

:D :D :D :D :D
Thanks for the LOL of the day.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Headtalk
.... the source code is trying to load the cheesy MSN header they must use .NET with frontpage extensions.
Huh?

A lot of the panels on the page have just placeholder text.

It's clear this was just a prototype that someone inadvertently published to their production server.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
I hate to say it, I think the page looks good. In fact, I like it! Sure, I can see that some of the links don't work, however I think it's of good design. I really like the top part with the 16x9 screen with the future baseball ad date and a graphic that looks like he's popping out of the window as if the image is 3-D.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Wow... this really must be just a prototype with examples posted on it. In addition to the misspelled "Anaheim," the ad says "ESPN Sunday Night Baseball" advertising the Angels v. Texas on *Monday* July 8th. The Angels play the Royals on July 8th, and it's a Tuesday, not a Monday. On Sunday July 6th, they play Oakland. This site should really be taken down until it's polished just a wee bit better.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.