AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I've seen alot of people post about ESPN-HD and how badly they want it.

I've got it and I'm going to rant how much I wish I didn't have it.

Why would you launch a channel that shows less than 5% a month of true HD programming and then force your viewers to watch upconverted SD s-t-r-e-c-h-o-v-i-s-i-o-n?

To me this channel seems like a total waste of bandwidth there are so many HD channels I could think of I dont have yet that I'd easily be happy if they replaced ESPN with one.

I can understand that they dont have a production studio built yet and I can understand they have access to 2 production trailors that aren't even theres. But for petes sake there owned by Disney! Disney has more than enough dough to throw out there to make ESPN-HD truely an awesome must have channel but they aren't and if they are it hasn't proven to be obvious yet.

There are other sports networks that by the sound's of it are pushing harder and faster to provide high quality HD sports channels. logically and monetarily sports is going to become the make or break deal for HD. That and TLC to keep the wives happy :D

But seriously, they could have easily waited untill they had the capability to offer even 50% of there programming and had a much more impressive channel but for now were stuck with a very sad excuse for an HD channel. It should be called ESPN-Strechovision SD.

Jeremy

·
Registered
395 Posts
It's the old glass is half empty glass is half full. I see ESPN's glass as half full! At least ESPN has started and the capability is being built. Sure they could have waited until more programming was available, but then you'd only have rumors that they're working on it. At least this way a network is in place and you get to see some HD programming occasionally. I prefer some HD programming occasionally versus none at all until they've reached 50%.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bone_stock
It's the old glass is half empty glass is half full. I see ESPN's glass as half full! At least ESPN has started and the capability is being built. Sure they could have waited until more programming was available, but then you'd only have rumors that they're working on it. At least this way a network is in place and you get to see some HD programming occasionally. I prefer some HD programming occasionally versus none at all until they've reached 50%.
Agreed I will take what they are offering and be happy. It was very clear from the begining that this what we were to expect. Having 2 football games a week works for me.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Respectively of course, but don't you people ever get tired of complaining about this?

It's very simple, if you don't like ESPN-HD, or their upconverted, stretched SD, then don't watch it. Speak with your wallet and stop paying for the channel. Write ESPN with your concerns. But for the good of everyone, please stop devoting entire threads to complaining about ESPN-HD. There are already numerous other threads on this site where you can go rant about ESPN-HD.

I for one enjoy the ESPN-HD product, and I'm happy that it is available to me.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I think I'll say this for the 50th time.

Tune your receiver to SD ESPN and forget about it if you don't like it!

I for one would rather watch ESPN HD Upconverted than Normal ESPN any day.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremyfr
I've got it and I'm going to rant how much I wish I didn't have it.
The great thing is that you can always CHANGE THE CHANNEL or CANCEL IT ALLTOGETHER ! Geez. If you don't like, then don't watch !

I, for one, enjoy that I'm at least seeing some HD sporting events on ESPN HD for now. I'm certain they will expand their programming in the future.

Perhaps you lack the patience to be an "early adopter..."

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
ESPN HD is just a foot in the door for ESPN. There is only so much beachfront, and the smart ones will get their spot early. Once all the spots are taken, there won't be room for those who weren't as aggressive, such as CBS or HDNET (talking about Comcast here). When INHD, INHD2, Cinemax HD, Starz HD, all the local channels, and HD VOD and HD PPV are all online, the Johnny come-lately's will have a hard time getting carriage.

I think once the NBA season gets under way, ESPN HD will probably broadcast some NBA HD games. They will probably do some NHL HD games too. I am willing to give them time until they get ramped up. It's the way of all HD channels at the beginning.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Quote:
They will probably do some NHL HD games too.
Not to mention the exclusive stanley cup Finals they've had in the past which can now be in HD.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I can't believe this arguement is being started AGAIN!

1.) Budgets don't just appear out of the blue. The ticket revenue from your last trip to Disney isn't funding ESPN-HD. They had to start with a limited budget and the money is largely coming from the advertising revenues on ESPN-HD during shows like Playmakers and their originally taped events, such as CFB or NFL and MLB. Phillips and Best Buy are largely responsible for this.

2.) Subscribers are also paying for this studio. Why do you think companies like TWC aren't ante'ing up for their somewhat rediculous "per-sub" fee? This is to help cushion the costs of building the studio.

3.) If the channel was not launched when it was, there would be tons of us asking "Where is ESPN-HD?" and we'd all be b!t#hing about how the largest Sports network hasn't grasped on to the most innovative technology alive.

4.) If the channel was not launched when it was, the advertising revenue would not be coming in, nor would our subscriber money. They stated it on their website about the VERY early launch. Go read the FAQ about the channel.

5.) I saw someone state it here the other day "It looks like we'll be paying $$ for in-studio shows and not for the actual sporting events to be showin in HD. In my opinion, that comment is a little proposterous. Sports is why they are starting the network, the highlight shows such as sportscenter will not have the ability to capture HD highlights from networks for quite some time even after the new studios are launched (complain to your local FSN affiliate or sports affiliate about that).

6.) ESPN is dealing with a VERY young technology and the fact of the matter is that there are only so many HD trucks out there, they also aren't treating the pioneers of the technology very fairly (Marc Cuban) and they seem to want to basically do it all on their own. Fine with me, Hire Dolby Labs for MNF sound coordination, by god, get it right though. They probably could have saved a lot of time by letting some more expereinced people help them, but obviously they don't care, their way seems to be the only right way.

That's my $.02 but this argument is as old as the underwear you were wearing in high school and still have in your dresser. :D

·
Registered
115 Posts
As someone who lives a stone's throw from ESPN's broadcast facilities, I can tell you that their physical expansion is proceeding at a breakneck pace. Give them credit for the HUGE amounts of money that they are pouring into upgrading to HD (and to the city of Bristol for giving them monster tax breaks!) Just a little patience is required. It's coming.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremyfr
But seriously, they could have easily waited untill they had the capability to offer even 50% of there programming and had a much more impressive channel.....
Fine. Don't watch, or cancel the Comcast tier you have that contains ESPN HD.

The rest of us will be watching the 120+ native HDTV ESPN events, in their first year alone, that you will have missed.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H
Fine. Don't watch, or cancel the Comcast tier you have that contains ESPN HD.

The rest of us will be watching the 120+ native HDTV ESPN events, in their first year alone, that you will have missed.
Amen, Brother Ken H. Sunday Night Football is enough for me. And we are getting more. With more to come.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bone_stock
It's the old glass is half empty glass is half full. I see ESPN's glass as half full!
Actually it's about 5% full and 95% emtpy! ;)

·
Registered
421 Posts
If you like to look at short, fat atheletes to feel good about yourself then watch ESPN-HD(heavy displacement) otherwise watch ESPN-SD (Standard Displacment).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Jeremyfr,

When ESPNHD first started out, I was a little dissapointed just like you. One thing that this forum has taught me is that we HD enthusiasts together are going to have to sacrifice for a while until this HD thing becomes more mainstream and all of the kinks get worked out. Yes, there will be somewhat limited HD programming and occasional weak examples of HD on ESPN, CBS, ABC, etc. Do we have the right to complain? absolutely. However, for every one unimpressive HD display I watch, there are ten other impressive examples of HD display that I get extremely encouraged by. Just think of where things were and how little HD there was to watch a year ago. I think the majority of the people in this forum have patiently waited and now see the light at the end of the tunnel. Besides, I would pay $10 a month just to watch NFL Sunday night football in HD and nothing else if I had to for the "good of the cause".

Stephen

·
Registered
17,674 Posts
Here's what ESPN has been spending their money on. This is the digital center. I grabbed this shot quick when I took a walk down the road past ESPN recently. I had to stand over on a side street because security will kick you off if they see you on the property taking pictures (they own all the land in that area except for the road itself that runs through the middle of the campus - I've heard they hope to change that, though). To give some scale, the little objects on the ground below the overhang on the roadside glass section are picnic chairs that contruction workers sit in during lunch. The big brick area (toward the far right of the image, next to the overhang) will be the studio section, which takes up nearly the space of a football field. I'm not sure what each floor is going to be (and I'm sure ESPN would rather I not say, anyway, for security reasons).

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just received my 8PSK module from Dish, so last night's Nebraska-Southern Miss game was the first game I have seen on ESPN HD. I know it was not in HD, but I did not notice any problem w/ the stretching in the SD broadcast on ESPN HD. In fact, I thought the picture was much better than that on the normal SD ESPN.

Was last night's broadcast of the Neb-Souther Miss game on ESPN HD representative of the stretching problem everyone is complaining about?

·
Registered
17,674 Posts
BTW, I happen to know the director pictured in that article (in the control room, which is one of the current SD facilities) is Tommy Edwards, who used to direct shows for the WCW back in the Ric Flair and Ricky Steamboat days on TBS. There's in article in "Wrestling Perspective" (Vol. XIII, Issue 103) about him.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I can't wait for the Tennessee vs. South Carolina HD game tomorrow on ESPN-HD! I may not watch ESPN-HD much, but I'm certainly happy I have it when a game I'm interested in is shown in HD!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.