AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first post here. Great Forum BTW. I know this question may have been asked and answered. Just curious with the launch set for September 8th for ESPN2 for DTV. When will comcast if at all launch ESPN2HD. Or in fact any other stations. Thanks. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,535 Posts
Don't mean to bash, but I suggest you use question marks in your thread titles that ask questions. Otherwise, people may open the thread looking for an announcement, rather than a question.


I don't know when Comcast will add ESPN2HD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,557 Posts
Comcast added TNT-HD in the spring and in my parts, NFL-HD is just now being added. But who knows when ESPN2-HD will show up.


Oh, and yeah, it is a rule around here to have very good thread titles. They must be concise and describe exactly what you are asking or announcing. If you are asking, then it should be in the form of a question with a question mark. As you spend more time here (we all fall into this site with so much it offers) you'll really appreciate that aspect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,750 Posts
I knew right away it wasn't an update. You have to know what posters to look for.


I've been getting nervous about Comcast and their bandwidth lately. We still don't have ESPN2, TNT, NBAHD, NFLHD, HDNet channels, Universal and what about channels that are coming soon or a real selection of HD VOD movies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhill
I've been getting nervous about Comcast and their bandwidth lately. We still don't have ESPN2, TNT, NBAHD, NFLHD, HDNet channels, Universal and what about channels that are coming soon or a real selection of HD VOD movies.
Digital simulcast of the analogs is now moving swiftly. I could see Comcast shutting off a few of the analogs (and only having the digitally simulcasted analog available to people with digital STBs) to free up space for more HD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzen102
Digital simulcast of the analogs is now moving swiftly. I could see Comcast shutting off a few of the analogs (and only having the digitally simulcasted analog available to people with digital STBs) to free up space for more HD.
How can they shut off the analogs if there are still people without digital STBs?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviators99
How can they shut off the analogs if there are still people without digital STBs?
Give them a month or two to order a STB, and if they don't do it, wait for the shutoff date and get the calls in.


I think that shutting off analog will cause some churn for Comcast. They've been calling people in my area for quite some time now asking them if they want a digital STB at no additional cost, selling them on the "free" digital music channels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,686 Posts
I think, and i emphasize THINK that the deal with the digital simulcast is that only people with STB's will have channels 1-999 in digital, shutting off analog to those boxes frees up bandwith. If you do not have an STB, 2-99 will still be analog for you. Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong on that. JWhip, if you see this, you seem to be the Comcast expert among us.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Vidonic
I think, and i emphasize THINK that the deal with the digital simulcast is that only people with STB's will have channels 1-999 in digital, shutting off analog to those boxes frees up bandwith. If you do not have an STB, 2-99 will still be analog for you. Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong on that. JWhip, if you see this, you seem to be the Comcast expert among us.
Comcast has stated that they will go digital-only and shut off all of the analogs at some point. They have not yet given a date on this yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Vidonic
I think, and i emphasize THINK that the deal with the digital simulcast is that only people with STB's will have channels 1-999 in digital, shutting off analog to those boxes frees up bandwith. If you do not have an STB, 2-99 will still be analog for you. Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong on that. JWhip, if you see this, you seem to be the Comcast expert among us.
I'm not an expert, but to gain the analog bandwidth they'll have to kill the analog channel completely. If you don't have an STB (or QAM tunner) then they channel is gone.


If the goal was just a "better picture" and they had the bandwidth for the analog for regular TV's and digital for STB, then the setup you mentioned would work. But they need to switch to digital so they can stop sending analog signals and in their place send digital signals that take up less space.


Umm, I think :)


Billy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,530 Posts
The way Comcast works we probably won't see Espn2HD til December.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastyfries
Umm, I think :)
That is correct. The TV channels are sent over a section of bandwidth that everybody tunes to, so cutting off an analog channel would end it for everyone who doesn't have a STB. My understanding is that one analog channel is the same bandwidth as one HD channel or four digital SD channels. So move 4 analog channels to digital, and you'd have room for 3 more HD channels. Something like that, anyway....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leewcraft
That is correct. The TV channels are sent over a section of bandwidth that everybody tunes to, so cutting off an analog channel would end it for everyone who doesn't have a STB. My understanding is that one analog channel is the same bandwidth as one HD channel or four digital SD channels. So move 4 analog channels to digital, and you'd have room for 3 more HD channels. Something like that, anyway....
To recap;


The simulcast is the first step towards recapturing analog bandwidth and converting the entire pipe to all digital, establishing significant latitude for additional new channels.


It would be reasonable to assume that you would begin to see 1-2 channels start to be removed slowly as digital penetration increases overall. Let's say it's 4-6 channels a year over the next three years. It's not necessary to wholesale move a large portion of the analog spectrum to digital to obtain bandwidth management flexibility. As noted, a wholesale movement could conceivably be negative to business. It's also likely to assume they may choose to keep 20-30 channels available as an analog package and continue to sell this to that segment that wants it for years to come.


At 4-6 channels (let's say 5) a year recatured from analog, that's 10 HD channels or 40 SD digital capacity they gain back each year to be used as needed.


You'll see the awareness increasing fairly rapidly over the next 60 days of Comcast's digital simulcast plans for this year.


GoIrish
 

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
Joined
·
45,617 Posts
'?' added.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
246 Posts
I believe you can actually fit 2 HD channels in one Cable channel slot. I also believe they are putting up to 10 SD digital channels in one slot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leewcraft
My understanding is that one analog channel is the same bandwidth as one HD channel or four digital SD channels. So move 4 analog channels to digital, and you'd have room for 3 more HD channels. Something like that, anyway....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
538 Posts
I was considering starting a thread about Comcast Digital simulcast rollout, but there seems to be some discussion here. Someone please re-direct me if I missed a similar thread.


I'm looking forward to the improved PQ this promises. Although like many here, my SD viewing has diminished significantly as HD spoils you.


Some questions if anyone will be so kind as to respond:

1. How do you know when the conversion has happened in your area? Is it obvious with PQ or is there a notice/warning? Is there a rollout schedule somewhere?


2. Do the channel lineups change? It seems it would be easy to have the box remap to a digital version so it is seamless to the user.


3. And, for those who have gone through it, how would you describe the PQ change?


Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
883 Posts
I'd say this is OT, but I'll respond . . .


PQ is not improved with ADS, at least from what I've seen. It's simply a step Comcast is taking to be able to get rid of the analog spectrum and free up bandwidth. It's a baby step, really.


Depending on the cable box/guide you have you can either see the [D] (digital) on the menu when flipping through the channels (that's how it is on the motorola boxes with the newest guide). Or you can go into the box's diagnostic screen and check the inband status to see if the incoming signal is QAM 256 or if it's analog.


Comcast isn't advertising this, as far as I've seen, so you won't be getting a message of any kind telling you it's started or completed.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller
I was considering starting a thread about Comcast Digital simulcast rollout, but there seems to be some discussion here. Someone please re-direct me if I missed a similar thread.


I'm looking forward to the improved PQ this promises. Although like many here, my SD viewing has diminished significantly as HD spoils you.


Some questions if anyone will be so kind as to respond:

1. How do you know when the conversion has happened in your area? Is it obvious with PQ or is there a notice/warning? Is there a rollout schedule somewhere?


2. Do the channel lineups change? It seems it would be easy to have the box remap to a digital version so it is seamless to the user.


3. And, for those who have gone through it, how would you describe the PQ change?


Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller
I was considering starting a thread about Comcast Digital simulcast rollout, but there seems to be some discussion here. Someone please re-direct me if I missed a similar thread.


I'm looking forward to the improved PQ this promises. Although like many here, my SD viewing has diminished significantly as HD spoils you.


Some questions if anyone will be so kind as to respond:

1. How do you know when the conversion has happened in your area? Is it obvious with PQ or is there a notice/warning? Is there a rollout schedule somewhere?


2. Do the channel lineups change? It seems it would be easy to have the box remap to a digital version so it is seamless to the user.


3. And, for those who have gone through it, how would you describe the PQ change?


Thanks.
One DS thread...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=500545
 
1 - 20 of 64 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top