AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know when sports center comes on its 16:9 and then it goes into that stupid 4:3 screen with the ESPN logo on each side, unless the game was televised in HD. My question is, what exactly does ESPNHD show in 16:9 format? There was a baseball game on last night and the damn thing was in 4:3. wtf
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whityfrd
i know when sports center comes on its 16:9 and then it goes into that stupid 4:3 screen with the ESPN logo on each side, unless the game was televised in HD. My question is, what exactly does ESPNHD show in 16:9 format? There was a baseball game on last night and the damn thing was in 4:3. wtf
wtf is because the game wasn't in HD. It was an SD source sent as 720p.


When ESPN HD first started, they stretched their 4:3 material and everyone complained. ESPN did the right thing and started broadcasting 4:3 material as 4:3 with side bars or side logo. This is how it should be. But now you're complaining about that. wtf????? Do you want ESPN HD to go back to that horrible stretching of 4:3 material? Do you not realize that not everything being broadcast on ESPN HD's channel is HD?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,173 Posts
Or, if you STB will let you, stretch/zoom the HD channel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry G
When ESPN HD first started, they stretched their 4:3 material and everyone complained. ESPN did the right thing and started broadcasting 4:3 material as 4:3 with side bars or side logo. This is how it should be. But now you're complaining about that. wtf????? Do you want ESPN HD to go back to that horrible stretching of 4:3 material? Do you not realize that not everything being broadcast on ESPN HD's channel is HD?
It would be nice on their SC, BBTN, or NFL shows if they are talking about a player and show their footage, they could look in their HD archives from when they did a game and show the footage in HD. Even Comcast Sports Net Chicago does this, and they haven't even been on a year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Truth
It would be nice on their SC, BBTN, or NFL shows if they are talking about a player and show their footage, they could look in their HD archives from when they did a game and show the footage in HD. Even Comcast Sports Net Chicago does this, and they haven't even been on a year.
1) Because they don't usually use game footage (full of score bugs and ID logos) for that stuff - it's usually replay or field camera stuff which is often not HD to begin with.


2) The NFL "B-Roll" is usually NFL films footage, which is currently being delivered to ESPN on SD videotape. HD versions of future footage will soon be avilable.


3) Because the HD edit rooms are very new and completely different technology than the SD tape-based rooms, they don't have as many HD rooms available to cut all that stuff in. They're still being built and tested (and some rooms can't be used as new software comes in and needs to be tested before being used for on-air product). In addition, there are a lot of people that need to be trained on the equipment, which takes a couple of months for each person to learn everything properly - so staffing a large number of rooms gets a bit tight at times.


4) Not everything is kept on the servers for the HD rooms to use. A lot of stuff gets archived off to save space. This means, for a quick rip of B-roll, it's often faster to just do it in an SD tape-based room instead of dumping it into the server, transferring to the drive storage in an edit room, editing it, then transferring it back to the server. With all the network traffic, those transfers can eat up several precious minutes when things are in a crunch.


5) At times, the B-roll is cut out on remote for the event being discussed. Right now, the remote editing facilities are all SD.


6) It's easy to be all HD when you haven't been around a long time. ESPN has 25 years of footage to pick from. Sometimes they like to use the old stuff, too.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top