AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Essential Android Home Theater Apps

By Grant Clauser
Can the Android market match Apple for home theater and control?

The iPad has clearly become the pet touchpad for many in the home theater and control world. About half of the home or home theaters we've profiled in the past 6 months have had an iPad or iPhone integrated in some way. That would lead some people to believe that iOS devices rule the A/V world. Android fans would beg to differ.

So what can an Android tablet or smart phone do for your home theater? It can adjust the volume of your receiver, turn up the lights, switch channels, manage your DVR and help you find music. Basically, nearly anything an iPad can do, an Android can do as wellwell, usually.

So in order to give a clearer picture of what Android buyers can expect when they start browsing the app market, I've rounded up 14 apps for home theater or automation. This is not a complete list, but covers most of the popular electronics brands and a few you may not have heard of.

Click here to continue.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Not only the damn ads, but inaccuracies. For example the Denon Remote app slide lists some models as compatible that aren't.

·
Registered
623 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholling /forum/post/20903709

I noticed that there is nothing in the article about Android apps to manage your HTPC. Managing receivers, TVs, BD players etc is a piece of cake with a universal remote but that pesky HTPC needs an Android app .

Agree. So far Unified Remote is the best I've used and I've tried just about all of them. As far as recievers, I mostly just need to control volume and for that, a physical button is just essential, trying to use a touch button for volume during watching just doesnt work.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach /forum/post/20901175

Not only the damn ads, but inaccuracies. For example the Denon Remote app slide lists some models as compatible that aren't.

can u fix the TWCable ipad app

·
Registered
40 Posts
The best android app is the Google TV app. And to be honest with the Logitech Revue priced at $99 the entry price isn't that much. I could never use the actual Revue and still be happy about how well my phone controls everything in my home theater.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.