AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been having lockup problems with the dial-up connection lately - it gets stuck on the the checking for software updates screen.... I have missed two early morning programs becuse of this.

Today I tried to re-connect the ethernet connection now that my DSL is up... the replay fails the conection. It is getting the correct IP, DNS and Gateway info from the router, it says that the server cannot be found. The DSL connection is good - this setup all worked in fine before I moved - had to switch to dialup until the DSL was connected.

Is this some weird glitch, or is the fact that the myReplayTV site is down causing this? I do have it enabled, but have never experienced any strange behavior in the past.

Any suggestions?

One other quickie - if I do the restore factory settings option, will it erase all my recorded shows?

Thanks

Ted

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Check your DNS settings to make sure the ReplayTV is getting them. If it can't access a DNS server it won't be able to resolve to the ReplayTV mothership.

Try cycling your router and then doing a cold boot of the ReplayTV.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the router, modem and RTV have all been cold booted - modem - router - replay in that order.... what is the address that the RTV is looking for? replaytv.com works fine....

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Where does it 'fail the connection'? The first step is setting the time, for example....

There's also a bug in 5.0 that is you even look at the network settings, the IP stack is hosed. Try rebooting, and then don't do anything except 243 Zones/7 to connect and see how that works.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It fails on setting the connection to ethernet, ie changing from dialup to ethernet. I try to the 243 zones trick.

I am also going to set the router to spit out a connection log and see where/what this thing is talking to.

T

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It fails on setting the connection to ethernet, ie changing from dialup to ethernet. I try to the 243 zones trick.

I am also going to set the router to spit out a connection log and see where/what this thing is talking to.

T

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
It fails on *changing* in the menu?! That's got nothing to do with 'connecting to the servers', right? You first said it couldn't connect.

What exactly does it do? As for your router, why would that be the issue if the RTV can't even change to 'Ethernet'?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
don't know about yours, but when changing the conenction type, it trys to go out and make the connection - it fails at that point.

I dragged the unit out of my AV setup and into the office where it is connected with a short ethernet cable. it still fails to connect. looking at the routers connection log, it attempted two connections: rddns-production.replay.net on port 1036 and production.replaytv.net on port 1041. after those two entries, no further connection attempts were made, even after forcing a net connect.

Just did a cold boot again... I'm waiting for it to reboot now....

T

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK... cold boot seems to have rectified it.... :/ had a similar problem when I tried to get it to switch to ehternet from a modem connection when I first got the unit.... wierd...

Now if I can only get the damn thing to work with a long ethernet cable, I'll be all set....

Thanks for the assistance

T

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Problems with long cables are usually the cables (duh, but we've seen a lot of problems here with bad cables).

BTW, those port numbers you noted for the connection were on your end. It's port 80 on the other end. And, I'd forgotten it did a trial connect immediately when switched, haven't done that in a while! :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the cable that I have is fine - it works between the DSL modem and router with no problems, place it between the replay and my router and the link light on the router just blinks on and off... sounds like the replay unit has some crappy ethernet magnetics/driver.... tisk... tisk... they went on the cheap and made assumtions that the line would be short... poor engineering if you ask me..... :) I'll pick up a cheap hub to place in the AV rack to act as a buffer....

T

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
I've used long cables, but my current setup is with all of them with a switch nearby. So, a switch/hub inbetween should do it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.