AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The manual for the 4504 says that the Ethernet connection must always be connected. Is this true? I was hoping I could plug it into my wireless-enabled laptop when it needed to connect through my network to the Internet to update its program listing and then have it unplugged most other times.

Rick

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
You're willing to do that every single day to get guide data? The unit does work without constant connection, if that's what you're asking. But I think the setup you describe would be very tiresome, very fast :)

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
That works fine... you could get away with connecting as infrequently as once a week. I've done that before when I was shuffling IP addresses for other things. The deal with the 4K... I leave it on it's router even if I pull the router off the modem. If you leave the Replay itself unplugged (ethernet) then you will need to reboot next time to connect in my experience. But if it still has the router then it just thinks the service is unavailable and usually easily connects without incident next time... if the router is back online.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by RandyL712
You're willing to do that every single day to get guide data?
Temporary solution until Linksys makes its WET-11 wireless bridge generally available. (Or until I figure out an economical way of running CAT-5 to the family room downstairs..... :D)

Rick

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes, I too am tapping my foot impatiently waiting for the WET11 to come out. Audiotron, xbox online, and MM PC are going on that segment as well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was looking into the WET-11 (buy.com and amazon have them)

but then I thought about transfer speeds, to send large files would be a pain over the wireless, also if you want to stream between box's you will need something faster than 11mbs. There is a faster version of 802.11 that goes upto 72mbs that may do the trick.

I ended up running a cat-5 cable instead, took only about half an hour to tack it to the wall and cap the ends.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.