AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to buy a hub or switch so that I can run a ethernet cable direct to my blu ray player. can anyone recommend a brand hub/ switch & long ethernet cable. Are they all good or are some better then others. thank you, chris

·
Registered
22,875 Posts
I assume you have a router (or router/modem) for your Internet. Does it have additional switch ports?

DLink, NetGear and Linksys all provide switches (or router/switches) for your needs.

How long of an Ethernet cable run do you need?

What is your Internet provider? FiOS, cable, DSL?

What make/model is your modem?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/18277687

I assume you have a router (or router/modem) for your Internet. Does it have additional switch ports?

DLink, NetGear and Linksys all provide switches (or router/switches) for your needs.

How long of an Ethernet cable run do you need?

What is your Internet provider? FiOS, cable, DSL?

What make/model is your modem?

I have road runner. I will not be using a router. I will have the hub or switch between my time warner supplied modem and the computer. I want to go direct to my lg blu ray with the ethernet cable. apprx 30 feet. I want to be able to stream netflix movies. thanks

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
And you have no other PC's or devices on your network? Unless roadrunner is dishing out extra IP's for each device on your network, you need a router.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,727 Posts
Just get the least expensive router you can find. A 'G' wireless can be had for less than $50.

·
Registered
22,875 Posts
You need to provide the make/model number of your RR modem. It may be a router/modem and all you need is a switch.

I wouldn't waste $$ for a hub.

If it's a modem only, then you have to get a router/switch.

Ethernet cables can be purchased online quite inexpensively. Or... perhaps you know someone that can provide a 30' cable that has fallen off of a truck.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow ride /forum/post/18279282

there will be just the one computer . I thought I could do it without a router.

Any device hooked to the network needs it's own IP, that includes your Blu-Ray player. You'll need a router so you can have multiple IP's share your RR connection.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I called the cable company before I started this thread & they said I would not need a router, that it was optional. . my modem is a motorola sbv 4200. thanks

·
Registered
501 Posts
I remember when I had Verizon DSL, they said I could attach up to 3 computers to the DSL modem with a switch or hub, so it seems quite plausible that some other broadband providers would provide more than one IP address.

·
Registered
22,875 Posts
Your cableco representative is incorrect. From the spec sheet:

Versatility Features

USB or Ethernet connectivity — simplifies installation, enhances versatility

Supports up to 32 users**

** Additional equipment (not included) such as Ethernet routers or hubs is necessary.

·
Registered
22,875 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ross /forum/post/18281441

I remember when I had Verizon DSL, they said I could attach up to 3 computers to the DSL modem with a switch or hub, so it seems quite plausible that some other broadband providers would provide more than one IP address.

Your provider assigns one address per account, per modem. The routing capability can assign IP addresses via DHCP for the "inside" network. Sounds plausible, but it depends on the hardware/software and a basic understanding how IP works.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow ride /forum/post/18281306

I called the cable company before I started this thread & they said I would not need a router, that it was optional. . my modem is a motorola sbv 4200. thanks

Unless RR is providing you multiple internet facing IP's, they were wrong. Usually you just get one IP then you need a router in the house to allow you to feed multiple devices off that one IP.

If they are giving you multiple IPs, any 10/100MB switch should work, a 5 port model would be fairly inexpensive. If you end up needing a router, get one with the 4 port switch built in, it'll run you around the same price.

·
Registered
916 Posts
If you have the time and knowledge, static IP addresses are the least trouble. All you need is a switch and the ability to set up each node with with a static IP address. Going through a router can often be problematic, in my experience. Using a switch is much more stable in the long run, again, in my experience.

To set up static addresses, however, you may need to configure a workgroup, IP addresses, DNS addresses (email), and a gateway address (your modem) at a minimum. It's not hard, but can get confusing if you don't pay close attention to what you are doing. Drawing it out on paper first helps a lot.

·
Registered
22,875 Posts
Static IP addressing will not work with a switch (only). You need routing capabilities.

Using a router is the least problematic... in my experience.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Taperwood - 99%+ of all residential networks should be using a NAT router with DHCP - it's so easy almost any idiot can do it, and most routers these days come preconfigured enough that they work right out of the box for basic use. Adding security to wireless is one thing that often IS NOT done out of the box, but it doesn't take much to add either.

·
Registered
22,875 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooper /forum/post/18288049

Adding security to wireless is one thing that often IS NOT done out of the box,...

How true! So many don't know about not only changing default admin passwords to routers, but also using WEP or WPA for wireless. I personally can access 3 personal networks (and routers) from my home that are unsecured.

(great for testing purposes though!
)

·
Registered
551 Posts
I have Clearwire internet and just use a switch. I have one computer, vonage, OPPO BD83, Directv Hr20-700 and a Sony BDP-CX960 and have no problems .I had more problems when using a router.

·
Registered
22,875 Posts
Probably because your "modem" is a modem/router. Not all internet modems are "smart".

You had problems because the modem/router was conflicting with the external router.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiCecco /forum/post/18288471

I have Clearwire internet and just use a switch. I have one computer, vonage, OPPO BD83, Directv Hr20-700 and a Sony BDP-CX960 and have no problems .I had more problems when using a router.

You still need some kind of router, I'm guessing your modem/device/whatever has one built in, check the IP on one of your PC's, I bet it's 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts