AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I that out of touch? Humor me since I've been away from technology for a while now.

After describing the problems I was having syncing my laptop, new Samsung BluRay player, and cable modem, my brother laughed at me and said, "wait a sec... are you still using cable connections?"

I said yes and that the reason is that it was frustrating enough to do all this without adding the extra layers of complexity involving wireless connections. I got the new 50" plasma and bluray player at 10 am monday and, three different cable modems later... scientific atlanta, motorola, zoom...., and eight hours, was still struggling to get the samsung communicating with the modem.

He said that has not been true for some time now. He advised me to get with it and go get a wireless router and I'll find the process much simpler. When I mentioned that my new player was WiFi capable he called me an idiot for not just going wireless to begin with.

Is this generally true?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,683 Posts
No.

In addition to being easier to set up (simply connect the ethernet/network/Cat5/Cat6 cable), hard wired connections deliver more of the bandwidth you are paying for from your Internet provider, and are not subject to interference from other external sources (cordless phones, microwaves, lighting dimmers, etc.

Wireless can work fine in most cases, but is a second choice unless you can't get the hard wire to the location you need it at.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for clearing some of that up for me Ken. Might I be less ludite than my brother pronounces?

What of the communication woes with my bluray player? Is the Samsung really sensitive and shy about speaking with strangers? It would not pass the ping test in the setups. No matter what with the scientific atlanta. With the motorola it passed all the tests but still would not, mysteriously, connect to the internet once I got to the internet components area of the televisions setup (netflix). The Zoom seems to be working for now, and I"m watching netflix, but I just discovered that I cannot use the ethernet for the blu ray and simulataneously use the USB for the laptop. So it's back to the store to buy a cable router.

That's where all this came into question over just going wireless. Cable runs are absolutely not an issue with me. They're all there, in excellent condition, and waiting.

What then would be the best cabled solution in terms of cost and simplicity for a single laptop and bluray player to share a connection? A cable modem/router combo? A cable modem and separate router (actually approx 30 percent cheaper in most flavors than the one box combo)? What is the difference, if any, between a cable modem/router and a cable "gateway"?

And do some brands/chipsets seem to behave more civilly with samsung products? There is no doubt that the Zoom likes conversing with the Samsung FAR better than the Scientific Atlanta did. (to be fair the SA was probably eight years old).

·
Registered
901 Posts
edited by George ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frascati /forum/post/19652103

So it's back to the store to buy a cable router.

That's where all this came into question over just going wireless. Cable runs are absolutely not an issue with me. They're all there, in excellent condition, and waiting.

What then would be the best cabled solution in terms of cost and simplicity for a single laptop and bluray player to share a connection? A cable modem/router combo? A cable modem and separate router (actually approx 30 percent cheaper in most flavors than the one box combo)?

I think your problem is that you didn't have any router. The wireless device mist buy is a router, not an access point. For multiple devices to have internet access, SOME FORM of router is (usually?/always?) required. Some cable modems include the router, still with one Ethernet connection. Most require an external router. The external may be wired only or wired and wireless. I cannot recall ever seeing a wireless only router.

I PERSONALLY don't like to put all my eggs in one basket ... combined router and modem ... preferring separate. But either will work. After the router, you can use hubs or switches to add additional wired devices.

As mentioned, you "consume" less of your bandwidth wired and worry less about interference.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frascati /forum/post/19652103

What of the communication woes with my bluray player?

As others have speculated, I'm also guessing you're not using a network switch or router between the cable modem and other devices. That would account for the problem.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm not a networking expert myself, but I determined a wired router was the way to go. I already had a six port router in my home. The DSL modem is plugged into the router, and my networked BluRay, two PCs (one for streaming video to my main set and one for my office) and even a networked printer are plugged into the same router. Setup was minimal, and all seem to be playing nicely together with zero downtime. Seemed to help to first hook only a PC and the modem to the router for basic configuration, then when the basic network was operational, add other equipment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts