AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
In principal, it could be made to work with external drives. I mean, the mechanics for doing lbn level I/O to the drive would be the same as for an internally mounted IDE drive.

The issue comes in whether extract_rtv's drive scanning code restricts itself to ide drives. THere, I couldn't tell ya.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Code:
Code:
#ifdef WIN32
                for(i=0;i

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I'm almost 100% sure that USB or Firewire drives are going to show up as \\\\.\\PhysicalDriven, just probably after the IDE drives. I certainly see all my SCSI drives show up in that list, and I'm pretty sure I've seen SmartMedia cards likewise show up as PhysicalDriven, and I know my Zip drive shows up in that naming space as well.

Not that I've tried installing the Replay software on a flash card for my camera, but I s'pose if I had a big enough card, I could always try.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Yah, I just verified that a 40G USB drive I have connected to my 'pute does indeed show up as \\\\.\\PhysicalDrive6

(where 0 is my Zip drive, 1-5 are my SCSI hard drives, and 6 is the USB drive).

I would expect Firewire to work just the same, and at a guess, start counting your hard drives at 0, starting with the primary master. Exhaust all IDE drives (do not count CD-ROM or DVD drives), and your Firewire drive is probably the next one in sequence.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just a tip for some people out there. This MAY work with your IDE RAID card, it may not...

On my computer setup, I have a Promise ATA/66 RAID PCI Card and I had to define a one-drive RAID for my Replay drive when attached. The card remembers the RAID for each time I attach the drive (which honestly really creeped me out the first time I saw that).

On another system using the Highpoint RAID on-board chip, I couldn't get the RAID to read the replay drive at all (actually the system wouldn't boot at all.)

But your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
535 Posts
GatewayTony - yes that was Highpoint which didnt show the drive in the extract program. I did however learn how to boot of highpoint raid 0 array. If it is of any interest to you - let me know - dont want to highjack the thread.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was finally able to test this out with a combo firewire/USB drive enclosure and everything worked great. Found the drive right away. The only issues I had were with the USB 2.0 ports. The enclosure worked fine on the USB 1.1 ports and the Firewire ports, but causes a BSOD in 2000 when I plugged it into a USB 2.0 port.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.