AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a bit of a thread about this, but I am so excited about this I had to start my own.

I have (like many) an LT150 and (like many) a Panasonic RP91 DVD player and (like a few) a Panamorph. I have been disappointed about the PQ of DVDs from the DVD player versus what they look like from a PC. Night and day, IMHO. I have built a number of computers in my time, but the thought of that added layer of inconvenience in my HT setup doesn't appeal to me. Wading through the software player issues and registry hacks over at the HTPC board is enough to make me crazy. I'm not a gamer either, so the PC would be for movies only.

There was a Widescreen Review (Aug. 2001) review of a Sony 7700 player with a MSB Technology modification that allowed switchable resolution from 480p to 1200p. Cool I thought. A call to MSB told me two things: only Sony and Toshiba players; and the mod was now $1295 instead of $895. Then this month's WSR came....

Cinematrix ( www.cinematrix.de ) MAKES the boards that MSB uses, BUT Cinematrix does the installs for almost ALL DVD players. The RP91 included. I spoke with Thomas at their California office, and he was extremely helpful. Not only that, but they are maintaining the $895 price. That's what I would have spent for a HTPC, but now I will have SIMPLICITY.

The output capabilities and format flexibility are amazing. For those with the Sharp 9000, the 720p mode of the board matches the HDTV standards (SMTE?), so you get NATIVE panel resolution. And for us LT150 owners, we can have...1,024x768. Further, they fully support 16x9 or 4:3 output at any resolution with full internal scaling. This means that there is internal scaling to get those 4:3 letterboxed movies (like Titanic) scaled up to 'appear' anamorphic at whatever output resolution you have selected. This means that the Panamorph can stay in place at all times with the LT150 (or any 4:3 PJ).

The outputs on the back are 5 BNC connectors, but there are jumpers on the board that switch between RGBHV, RGBS, or RGB sync. on green. I am hoping that the LT150 takes RGB sync. on green so I can maintain my component video switching through my preamp. Anybody know or do I have to get out my manual?

My mod date is scheduled for about 3 weeks from now (they are full 'till then). I'll post again about this when the mod is done. Better get in line soon!!

- Dieter

·
Registered
170 Posts
I am using a cinematrix upgraded DVD player now for a year, it had its problems but now that they polished it the thing works really great. I am still impressed everytime I use it and indeed I am getting a better picture then when I was using htpc. Perhaps it was my software player that I was using but its great on my 105" screen.

·
Registered
246 Posts
J.F

on which DVD player you had the PSM-1 installed? How do you control the features affered by the PSM-1 board? How easy to use is it compared to an HTPC? Thanks in advance,

Rodrigo Braga

·
Registered
6,463 Posts
yes, please post the results here when you get it.

I heard others say that the cinematrix mod wasn't quite up to HTPC standards...and a few others criticized its 3-2 detection/ reverse pulldown, but that was a year ago.

Let us know what it looks like. If only they provided an analog-video-input we could use it as a scaler for laserdisc and other sources!!!

p.s. make sure and check out deinterlacing of both movies and video- thanks!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Actually those results were from the first Shootout in December of 2000. Hopefully they have improved the product since then but it's still out of my price range. If they could fix all the problems identified in the Shootout & get the cost under $500 I'm sure I could sell another kidney to get one.

Petey

·
Registered
117 Posts
Can anyone comment on how the PSM1 compares to a decent external scaler?

How does it compare to the SDI based mod that is getting so much press right now?

Does the PSM1 make the DVD player region free and does it support PAL? Or will it work with the JVB mod ( http://www.jvb.nl/digital/ ) that does (plus eliminates "crapovision")?

·
Registered
6,463 Posts
Gary,

what's this SDI thing? Tell me more...where can I read about it?

thanks

·
Registered
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DaViD Boulet
Gary,

what's this SDI thing? Tell me more...where can I read about it?

thanks
DaVid,

Search for SDI (in all sections for the last month or so) and you will find quite a few SDI threads.

I'm just learning about it myself but basically the digital signal from the DVD player (before the D/A converter) is made available via new connectors. The digital signal can then be sent to the SDI inputs on an SDI capable scaler (thereby bypassing the scaler's A/D converter). Bypassing all the A/D/A converters is supposed to result in a cleaner signal and better image.

·
Registered
6,463 Posts
Gary,

That would basically give you all the advantages of HTPC with a stand-alone DVD player. If their scaler does a good job and can do 16x9 conversion for 4x3 lbxed material that sounds like a real winner. Any idea what 480P processing looks like for native 480I video material?

-dave

·
Registered
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DaViD Boulet
Gary,

That would basically give you all the advantages of HTPC with a stand-alone DVD player. If their scaler does a good job and can do 16x9 conversion for 4x3 lbxed material that sounds like a real winner. Any idea what 480P processing looks like for native 480I video material?

-dave
Dave,

SDI is used inplace of the s-video, component, or composite connections. SDI isn't dependant upon a scaler; that's just the example I used. You can use a scaler with SDI inputs or a video capture card, with SDI inputs, in an HTPC.

But you're correct, using a stand-alone DVD player does have some benefits.

I haven't seen any images from SDI equiped hardware so I can't comment on that.

·
Registered
6,463 Posts
Right,

but assuming you used the SDI input to feed a scaler or HTPC card,

the advantage of scaling purity you get with traditional HTPC is maintained,

additionally, you're not relying on flags to perform deinterlacing, could get decent 480I->480P conversion for native 480I video (depending on algorithm), and have the convenience of a traditional DVD player remote etc...which makes it easier for others to use.

Whala...HTPC quality scaling with real 3-2 detection and pulldown and (possibly) decent progressive-processing for native 480I video!

-dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.