AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently went to pick up a new HDMI cable for my PS3 since the one I had was very old (probably 1st gen).

I was going in looking for a 1.3b cable to hook up to my new sony led tv and take advantage of things like x.v etc.

So I walk in and they have 2 cables, one is 9.99 (1.3b) and the other is 11.99 (1.4).

The packaging on 1.4 said it was backwards compatible with all previous gens, and had extra features like supporting an ethernet channel.

I don't think I'll ever use that, but I decided to buy the 1.4 anyway since it was only $2 more and I figured I couldn't go wrong getting a newer cable.

Was this a good decision? Will the cable be able to support 1.3b as well?

Also, is there a noticable difference just by plugging in a new HDMI cable between the source and TV? Do I have to change any settings to get full advantage of the cable?

Thanks everyone! The brand was Eureka by the way. Never heard of them.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Well, that's a very reasonable price for a walk-in retail establishment.

The use of the 1.4 designation on a cable is actually prohibited by the HDMI Licensing agreement, so that notation should not have been there. The Ethernet channel is almost certainly the kind of silly idea that will never actually be used by anyone, but there's certainly no harm in having it.

Kurt
Blue Jeans Cable

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
No surprise that some, if not many, manufacturers are violating HDMI licensing guidelines. There is a long list of terminated adopters on the HDMI.org web site. And I bet the fact they are no longer adopters doesn't stop some of them from manufacturing HDMI products. And I don't doubt that there are manufacturers of HDMI products that were never adopters. Of course, none of that means that the product is necessarily unfit for the purpose.

Unless you had a problem with the old cable, you will see absolutely no difference with the new cable. Cables designed to HDMI specs before 1.3 were designed for about half the bandwidth of new cables. Whether that will make a difference for you depends on the resolution, frame rate and color depth you run.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.