AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, not sure if this is the right forum for these questions or not, but it seemed the most appropriate. Please correct me if I am wrong.

In a few weeks here, I will be getting ready to move from Florida over to Sweden. I'm not much of an electrical expert, understand some basics, but I have no idea what equipment that I have now that I can take with me to still work over there.

Obviously, I know about the whole USA is 110V and Sweden is 220V. And I am guessing that plugging in something built for 110 into 220 would not be pretty. So I really have a couple of questions.

1) If the AC Adapter has info on it that says that the input is 110V - 240V will that work in Sweden by simply converting the plug type from USA to EU (would this be true as long as they are rated higher than 220V?)?

2) Does the input of the AC adapter matter at all as long as I get the right output? For example, I am looking at a small piece right now, which has an input of 110-120V with an output of 15V. If I found an adapter in Sweden that had an input of 220V but still an output of 15V would that work just fine?

3) How can I tell on things like my projector which just has a simple power cord, like a PC power cord? Certainly, I could look at the specs in the manual or the internet to find out what the projector is rated to handle, what would I need to look for?

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi

ad. 1. Your AC Adapter will work correct with 220 V

ad. 2. It will work fine

ad. 3. For the first you need power cord with different plug that then you used in USA, For the second you have to check if AC adapter at your projector accept 220V

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Info here:
http://www.adaptelec.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=194

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynn29 /forum/post/17017568

1) If the AC Adapter has info on it that says that the input is 110V - 240V will that work in Sweden by simply converting the plug type from USA to EU (would this be true as long as they are rated higher than 220V?)?

Many devices now have "universal" power inputs. Anything that says "100v-240v 50/60hz" is universal and you can plug it into any world power system with just a prong adapter (no transformer needed). As long as the local power system voltage falls into the range stated, you are fine.

Quote:
2) Does the input of the AC adapter matter at all as long as I get the right output? For example, I am looking at a small piece right now, which has an input of 110-120V with an output of 15V. If I found an adapter in Sweden that had an input of 220V but still an output of 15V would that work just fine?

As long as the output is correct, you are fine. Be aware that there are two factors on the output that need to be matched - the voltage and the amperage. As long as the output voltage is the same, and the amperage is at least equal to or larger than the original adapter, you are fine. For example - if the US adapter is 15v at 2 amps DC, then a new adapter that is 15v at 3 amps DC would work correctly, but an adapter that is 15v at 1 amp would NOT work - the amperage needs to be the same or greater - if the amperage is larger than the original adapter - no harm done, but the output voltage must match exactly.

Quote:
3) How can I tell on things like my projector which just has a simple power cord, like a PC power cord? Certainly, I could look at the specs in the manual or the internet to find out what the projector is rated to handle, what would I need to look for?

Most equipment is marked as to what it will accept, otherwise check the manual or the manufacturers website or call them. Items that you should leave behind are things like hair driers - high wattage inexpensive devices are always trouble and you are better off just buying the local version rather than taking your current ones with you.

WARNING: DO NOT take power strips and/or any electrical surge or filtering devices with you - these are dangerous. You might think you can get away with taking some power strips with you to reduce the number of plug adapters you need to buy and just put a single plug adapter on the power strip. DON'T DO IT! Virtually all of these US power strips have filtering devices (surge suppressors) in them that work at 120v - if you plug these into 200+v power systems they will instantly destroy themselves - major fire hazard.

EDIT: rather then buying plug adapters, for anything that has a detachable power cord and does not require voltage conversion, consider getting a European power cord for it. Try monoprice.com. try to get your adapter/cord situation sorted now so you can take everything you need with you and be ready to go the first day rather than scramble for power adapters/cords when you get there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts