AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title sums it up. I am in the market for a new display. First, foremost and above all I am interested in the best black levels and therefore I think plasma is the way to go. The only way to evaluate is to see the actual set displaying a low APL image with very low (or totaly dark) ambient light levels.

So far I have gone to three stores and none provide that kind of environment.

I was totaly dissappointed by my last big screen ( a DLP) purchase because it looked OK at the store, but at home, in near darkness it was just awful.

Is there a store that has an environment that highlights rather than mask poor black levels?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Having such an environment wouldn't really be good for the business, would it

None of the larger chain stores around here have a proper setting for viewing such displays. However, the smaller pro/specialized A/V shops all have, for the most part, small, enclosed rooms for the customer to go in, sit down on a sofa, turn off the lights, and watch a display that they are interested in buying.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripe /forum/post/0

Having such an environment wouldn't really be good for the business, would it

Guess not.

Quote:

None of the larger chain stores around here have a proper setting for viewing such displays. However, the smaller pro/specialized A/V shops all have, for the most part, small, enclosed rooms for the customer to go in, sit down on a sofa, turn off the lights, and watch a display that they are interested in buying.

Can you share names?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:

I could give you names, but I live in Montreal, Quebec. I doubt those local shop names would ring a bell for you

I guess that is probably so. Let me pick your brain, if you don't mind.

You seem to be into this "black levels" thing.

What do you have and what would you buy if you were buying today?

·
Registered
2,692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F. Palacio /forum/post/0

If I were you, I would wait until mid year and look at the 8th generation pioneers coming out. Supposedly those black levels are INSANE. There is an 8th generation pioneer thread that seems to be on the first page of this forum since CES, I would definately check that out as I feel they are going to be it for black levels.

Dustin

·
Registered
673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F. Palacio /forum/post/0

I purchased, only a month ago, a Panasonic TH-42PX600U plasma TV. Panasonic plasmas are known to have the best black levels out there today. This is my 2nd Panasonic plasma, and I am extremely satisfied. If I had to buy another one tomorrow, it would be another Panasonic, but just a little bigger

·
Registered
673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlconner /forum/post/0

If I were you, I would wait until mid year and look at the 8th generation pioneers coming out. Supposedly those black levels are INSANE. There is an 8th generation pioneer thread that seems to be on the first page of this forum since CES, I would definately check that out as I feel they are going to be it for black levels.

Dustin

True, although pricing will most probably also be "insane"

·
Registered
2,692 Posts

Quote:

True, although pricing will most probably also be "insane"

Agreed. I have a 5071HD currently, and it has great black levels. The panasonic 60u/600u can achieve a bit better w.r.t. blacks for this generation, but I like the overall color better on the Pioneers. Both have great blacks though, if you ask me.

·
Registered
673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlconner /forum/post/0

Agreed. I have a 5071HD currently, and it has great black levels. The panasonic 60u/600u can achieve a bit better w.r.t. blacks for this generation, but I like the overall color better on the Pioneers. Both have great blacks though, if you ask me.

They sure do. The black level on those top-notch plasmas is simply phenomenal. Quite close to XBR CRT reference tv sets, if you ask me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.