AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hey All,

Sup? I made this list as an evaluation of TWC's products and services as a way for us to collectively share experiences with the company. What is good in your area, what is just OK, and what needs improvement? TWC affiliates, feel free to comment as well:

+= Good

-= Bad

0=Varies (Need more Information)

For TWC:

+: Like to bundle services

+: willing to renegotiate deals to keep customers happy.

+: awesome Digital Phone

+: awesome High Speed Internet

+: Caller ID on TV

+: Best HD channel selection.

-: Outdated cable boxes and DVR's

-: Unreliable cable boxes and DVR's

-: Cable guide is lacking essential features of current technology such as:

Keyword Search

Permanent Guide Filtering

Manual Recording

-:Often inept independent contractors for new installs. (Only Signature Home uses top techs for new installs.) Only certified TWC techs should do both repairs and installs.

-: Level one customer service is caring in my division most of the time, but is not competent or trained to handle questions about most of the technology.

0: Remote DVR Manager is so much better than the boxes for searching. But it goes in the variation category, because when it works it works well, but there are many times when it doesn't work, you can't log in, or it freezes.

0: I-Pad Guide: A relative of mine has this feature and it works well for him, but I have read that many divisions have problems with it.

0: Inconsistency across TWC divisions for customer service courtesy, tech promptness, and knowledge of equipment. Some reps are awesome, others are awful.

0: How much training does the average TWC Independent Contractor have? The average in-house tech? A level 1 CSR? What steps can be taken to improve communication in areas that are lacking?

Satch

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I am going to get the Popcorn for this one, already expecting certain feedback from the Charlotte NC crowd...

Rob

·
Registered
23,251 Posts
All observations/complaints can apply to any cable provider and may vary from county to county, state to state, coast to coast.

IMHO, it's not a TWC only issue.

·
Registered
4,860 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane /forum/post/20838835

I am going to get the Popcorn for this one, already expecting certain feedback from the Charlotte NC crowd...

Rob

Well... let me start right in
:

I have to say that overall things are actually quite good here in Charlotte (and I think that the tone and activity level in the Charlotte TWC thread generally reflects that, at least in comparison to some of the other regional threads here):
  • First and foremost I have to say that service has been extremely reliable. After eighteen years of service here I have needed only one service call and it was due to a neighbor's overzealous digging.
  • Service outages are extremely rare and are fixed quickly when they do occur. TV and internet are just always there, just as they should be.
  • Navigator reliably records all 60 of my scheduled series without any fuss or babysitting.
  • Unlike reports from other areas, SDV issues have been virtually non-existent here.

Complaints:
  • Number one (with a bullet) is a definite step backwards in HD PQ in recent months. Compression artifacts were never an issue here until relatively recently (approx last 9 mos).
  • HD channel expansion has been almost non-existent over the past 18-24 months (so they can't blame the PQ issues on that). There are a few additions planned for the end of this month, but we are still well below what I see for HD count in most other TWC systems.
  • Many of the Navigator feature requests others are concerned about do not interest me (such as enhanced search capabilities), but I agree that the lack of a user configurable guide filter is a big problem for Navigator.
  • Service costs too damned much.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Since Bright House is a partially owned subsidiary of Time Warner, I will add:

- Minimal clear QAM. They scramble every digital channel they legally can. The only clear QAM channels are local HD channels, and subchannels that aren't carried in analog. They scramble the digital versions of public/educational/government access channels and all other limited basic channels that are carried in analog. They even scramble the SD versions of local channels. They flatly deny the existence of clear QAM and tell you that you need a box to receive any digital channels.

·
Banned
346 Posts
down here we have crap everything from twc

Outdated cable boxes and DVR's

no wideband

no sig home

if you try odering a self install kit from the site they say its shipped but nothin ever shows up

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daye /forum/post/20847297

down here we have crap everything from twc

Outdated cable boxes and DVR's

no wide-band

no sig home

if you try ordering a self install kit from the site they say its shipped but nothing ever shows up

Hi Daye,

I remembered you had some issues with ordering the self install kit? What was the kit, was this a modem? Call TWC and ask for a level 3 supervisor. They can check your account and hopefully get this resolved.

Jack

·
Banned
346 Posts
i have an update on monday i called twc found out the last dvr self install kits i ordered on there site were either canceld or not got thru but the girl on the phone said she would send one its now a week later and i never got anything so tomorrow im gonna go to the local twc office an get a crappy old obsolete 8300 an keep that until i can either get a tivo or somethin

btw when i called to get whole house dvr they asked how many tv's i had then if they were pasma tv's i said no an they hung up i guess they only give wholehouse dvr's to people that have plasmas

·
Banned
346 Posts
i now will be suing twc along with alot of other people

update 8/30/2011

i went down to the office an they still only had 8300 so i got 1 of those later in the day i got the install kit from twc in the mail when i opend the box it was get ready for this an old refurbished 8240hdc anyways i been usin the old crappy 8300 an the audio still goes out on hd channels an now it has a new problem some times the channel just goes out to black screen for a second or 2 even on recorded programs i unpluged it for10minutes but it still happens il be rerutung it asap to the local twc office

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daye /forum/post/20868643

i now will be suing twc along with alot of other people

update 8/30/2011

i went down to the office an they still only had 8300 so i got 1 of those later in the day i got the install kit from twc in the mail when i opend the box it was get ready for this an old refurbished 8240hdc anyways i been usin the old crappy 8300 an the audio still goes out on hd channels an now it has a new problem some times the channel just goes out to black screen for a second or 2 even on recorded programs i unpluged it for10minutes but it still happens il be rerutung it asap to the local twc office

The black screen issue can be easily stopped by changing Navigator's Output Resolution to the maximum output that your TV supports, either 1080i or 720p. If you don't output to a single resolution, you will get that momentary black screen on ALL resolution changes, regardless of box type!

Jack

PS. Have you gotten credits to any charges for those install kits that never showed? You should!

·
Banned
346 Posts
it was already set for 1080i i only got 1 of the kits it was a refurbished 8240 it broke took it in an was given a 8240 that was held together with ducktape but it didnt work so i took it back an got another 8240 they have alot of those boxes never got credit cuz ordering kits thru the websites broke

·
Registered
5 Posts
Amazing to me as to how few people have posted in this thread... I would love to see quite a few more just to get a general idea as to what people think about the products and services...

@Daye: you keep switching out boxes but has a technician been called to the residence to actually test the signal levels... I realize this is a forum that's world wide, but if I may ask Daye what area are you in?

It really amazes me how people get so pissed off and frustrated about things. Depending on the area there are multiple days and hours that can be set up to help them resolve the problems people have, but a company must be given the opportunity to fix the issue. I'm not going to try an start a flame war, but to say you're going to sue a company is a bit on the extreme side of things.

·
Banned
346 Posts
ya a tech did come out when we had trouble gettin our sb6120 to work with rr extreme the line to modems new the 1 to the other tv is chopped up some cuz poeple tried stealin cable from me a while back cable guy said it was ok as long as the line joiner things didnt get water in them the cable has about 2 of them im down in the rgv area of tx

·
Registered
5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daye /forum/post/21007745

ya a tech did come out when we had trouble gettin our sb6120 to work with rr extreme the line to modems new the 1 to the other tv is chopped up some cuz poeple tried stealin cable from me a while back cable guy said it was ok as long as the line joiner things didnt get water in them the cable has about 2 of them im down in the rgv area of tx

Okay so if it's causing problems with the signal level and the product you're paying for then ask them to fix the problem... It's one thing for them to have replace and upgrade equipment, that might take a while. To ask them to replace a faulty line shouldn't be an issue.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.