AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
 http://www.evation.com/tirco/index.html suggests they are working on a Tirco, IRMan's successor.

Tirco reportedly would not only receive IR commands from your remote and turn them into actions on your HTPC, but will also be able to send IR signals to your other HiFi components. The macro / automation possibilities are quite exciting!

However, the forum on their web page does not seem to be working. I am posting my wishlist here in hopes that some of the fatures can be discussed here and / or passed on to Evation by individual users, allowing them to prioretize the most desired features.

---------------------------

Here are a few ideas / suggestions for the Tirco PC remote control interface:

Support two additional IR send / receive "remote sensors" in addition to those in the Tirco box itself. These would be similar in principle to the "cable mouse" IR transmitting extension that comes with some VCR's. Basically each of the two would be a very small IR transmitter and receiver module connected to a 3...10 ft cable terminated with a 1/8" mini stereo style plug. They could be attached to where their transmitting signals would reliably cover where the HiFi equipment being controlled is installed. The reason you wold need two is that (1) many HiFi installations feature non-transparent cabinets and (2) some HiFi installations are broken down in two halves (on either side of TV set) or otherwise cannot be reliably covered by a single remote sensor.

Make Tirco enclosure sleeker than the IRMan - primarily in that it should be more flat. Some folks' HiFi cabinet space is at a premium (vertically), and I think a thinner / flatter part would just look neater and more "high tech" than say the more boxy IRMan.

It would be truly awesome if besides IR control capability you'd also added X10 control capability. A straightforward implementation would be to have an AC power cord (removable and not needed for power - provided by USB) coming out of Tirco, over which Tirco would send X.10 signals, enabling things like incorporating room lighting (to dim for playback, etc.) and Air conditioner / light power on / off commands in the macros in addition to the IR control of HiFi components.

It would be great if besides being a "learning IR" remote, Tirco could also be a "learning RF" remote (with RF receive AND send (macro driven) capability) , enabling further integration with X.10 remotes, high end HiFi remotes, air conditioner remotes, etc.)

Last but not least, consider adding provisions (for receiving via the several Sub-Mini jacks you would provide on the unit) for Control-S and / or Control-L (wired remote control in use by the better Sony / JVC / Minolta / other camcorders / VCR's / projectors). These would be quite beneficial, as wired remote control provides a level of dependability, precision, and compatibility that is not attainable in some installations with RF or especially IR controls.

Many thanks

Alec

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
The Tirco has been real soon now since I started with HTPC's !!!

Better look at the new UIRT being developed in the Girder forums for an in out IR controler... Plus they are listening to suggestions...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yeah the TIRCO has been ready to come out for about 3 years now. When I see it is when I see it. I gave up on them.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Can anybody recommend another device that performs the same task, is not vapourware, and is affordable? I would love a Slink-E, but it's priced well out of my "proof-of-concept" budget.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
RedRat2

IRExpander

Slink-E

UIRT (very cheap DIY)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.