AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone play/try this game. I really wanted to get into it, but found it's learning curve is too ridiculous to have fun.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I got into about 4 months ago and it's pretty fun. The learning curve is steep, but I think it's worth it.

I would say cruise the forums and study up a bit and then try one of the 30 day trials.

There is some "spread sheets in space" but there are many ways to play the game.

I do a lot of missions and PvP, so I enjoy the combat.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I guess. Maybe I'm just lazy, but having to research a game before enjoying it seems counter-intuitive. I tried a trial and gave it the old college try for about 4 days. I'd get a mission a couple galaxies over and I'd set my course in. I could literally get up and do the dishes and come back 15 minutes later and my ship would still be traveling to it's destination, WTF?!? Am I just supposed to start at my screen that hold time or watch paint dry?

I'm sure it's fun once you've figured it all out, but I'm not going to try and spend a month doing it. It's a shame, it looks like it has lots of potential.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I did the same thing. That "feature" actually comes into play as you venture out into areas where it's a free for all.

When you are doing the early missions, you can warp right to the gate. The default warp puts you a few thousand km from the actual gate. Then you have to spend time getting to the gate to jump.

Later in the game, that feature will save you from jumping directly to the gate and getting ambushed by people camping the gate.

Keep playing, the game is pretty fun once you get going.

·
471 Posts
I did the 30 day trial thing. I liked it, but in one instance I lost an entire 2 weeks of effort (mining, upgrading, in about 10 seconds. That was so stupid and ridiculous that I didn't play as much the remaining 2 weeks, and ultimately figured out that you will never "catch up" to people who have more game time (account age, not playing time) than you do. So really, you've already lost the game before you even start. That is too bad, because this game seriously does have a lot of potential. I liked what I played, but it is very unfriendly to new people even if you have a tutor and a corporation to donate you money.

I would rejoin permanently in a heartbeat if they made a new server that everybody can start new characters on... that will never happen.

Oh, and the jumpgate thing. Even if you sit at the controls, it still takes a good 30 minutes to jump 8-10 gates. Not a fun time IMO. It's cool in the beginning to watch stuff fly by and the neat graphics, but after a while it gets old. Once you get to 0.0 space, you will get shot down in seconds if you try using the autopilot.

All that being said, once you learn the very steep curve, it gets a lot more fun. Sometimes learning that curve can merit you many many hours of entertainment. One prime example is Sid Meier's Civilization series. It looks complicated, boring, dull at first, but once you learn the basics it opens up a whole new world of fun times.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I gave the trial a go, but ultimately got frustrated at how difficult the game was up front and never subscribed. I'm all for complex MMO's with deep customization, and usually spend a good chunk of time reading forums and stuff, it's just that EVE did very little to ease you in. The decisions you make early on have long-term consequences, etc etc. It's an intimidating game to newcomers.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I'm not a fan boy, but I did not find the game that difficult. I read on the forums, figured what kind of character i wanted to play, and signed up.

I have no problem fighting in 0.0 space. Since the game is so deep, no one can be a master at everything.

I find the game to be a ton of fun.

If anyone would like any help or tips, feel free to ping me.

·
Registered
256 Posts
yea I kind of agree with mike - its not that steep - only at it month so very new and can have alot of fun , you really need to play smart though! lol or you will get podded, at good corp with peep that want to help you also adds alot , but you can have alot of fun in high sec space ( where you are relativley safe) before you venture out, your skill training should be planned as well.

Mike whats your in game eve name?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts