AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 7981 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,652 Posts
I don't think there is much point to starting another thread. Everyone has pretty much figured out that HD-DVD is more or less going to be still born when it gets here. So unless there is something dramatic that happens in the next few months, it's all over but the cryin' and the shoutin'. Of course there may be some interesting FUD for the shills to harp on, but that will get the thread closed like the original one. YMMV as always... :)


b2b
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It would be nice to have a catch-all thread.


Yes there are threads on narrower topics out there but when you separate out a thread for every small aspect related to the formats, they peter out quick and you have to dig around for them.


As unwieldy as the old thread was, there was a utility.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh and I wouldn't count my chickens too fast.


It appears HD-DVD is still proceeding and will make a show of something at CES so this won't be resolved yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nataraj
I think it might be better to have two separate threads for hd-dvd and BR.
You need two sticks, not one, to start a fire. You need two pieces of metal to create sparks.:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81
Oh and I wouldn't count my chickens too fast.


It appears HD-DVD is still proceeding and will make a show of something at CES so this won't be resolved yet.
Well, I hope whatever they shows works this time .... :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81
You need two sticks, not one, to start a fire. You need two pieces of metal to create sparks.:D
You mean like in forest fires ? ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,884 Posts
I had been looking for this new thread to see if there was any 'even later HDDVD news'.


Drat! :(


- Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nataraj
I think it might be better to have two separate threads for hd-dvd and BR.
Yeah, that'll make it easier to kill the BD one, so the MS promoted HD-DVD thread will be the only one left standing. Nice one, Nat. :rolleyes:


________________________________________________

Palladin


Chance favors the prepared mind
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
512 Posts
We absolutely need a new general thread in which to post and discuss this stuff. The "war" is far from over, and we have no products in our hands yet.


Although I personally didn't think the old mega thread was "way out of hand", as Alan put it, we should reduce the personal attacks/comments as much as possible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbarry
I had been looking for this new thread to see if there was any 'even later HDDVD news'.


Drat! :(


- Tom
You figure there will be some stuff to discuss coming out of CES.


Sure there will be CES-specific threads. But the idea is to get this rolling towards critical mass. ;)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal_Sunshine
as Alan put it, we should reduce the personal attacks/comments as much as possible.
It didn't take long for this thread and the RIP thread to be the latest platform for attacks. Unfortunately personal attacks is the M.O. for some 'contributors'.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,164 Posts
Can someone give an honest unbiased recap of what I missed out on whilst away that caused the thread to be closed? And I do mean unbiased as in don't go and add your own spin just because you are on one side of the fence.


Cheers...

Duy-Khang Hoang
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,038 Posts
I don't really think it was all that much worse than what has occured before re: Amir and comments about his objectivity on the matter of HD-DVD vs Blu-ray. I just think there was no new information, and Alan got tired of seeing the same sorts of comments again, and exercised Executive Privilege to stop the trend.


And he's right: that was a damned unweildy thread. Starting anew is not a bad thing, as long as history is preserved.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdkhang
Can someone give an honest unbiased recap of what I missed out on whilst away that caused the thread to be closed? And I do mean unbiased as in don't go and add your own spin just because you are on one side of the fence.
Several people, myself included, wondered whether nataraj was covering for Amir in an official capacity. Argument ensues with a lot of words thrown around. Thread gets closed. For the longer version read the last three pages of the recently deceased thread . May it rest in peace.
 
1 - 20 of 7981 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top