Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 7981 Posts

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio
Difficulty is, how do we differentiate a "Real News" and the others? What is a "Real News"?

Is a press release from some company a Real News?

Is an article in the CE Daily a Real News, although it looks like just carrying PR from someone's mouth?

Is an article on some newspaper a Real News?

Is an article on some paper magazine a Real News?

Is an article on famous web news site a Real News?

Is a claim from an executive in the industry a Real News?

Usually we don't have means to back that "Real News" up by ourselves. Usually we tend to think that if there are multiple sources can be found for certain story, it is likely true. Is that enough to meet a criterion for a Real News?
I vote for Alex as "Mr. Real News"... And besides he can be damn funny too ! :D

b2b

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
Actually, I like the idea of creating a "Real News" thread which allows only those posts quoting any legitimate press release and publications. Quotes from an executive that are not otherwise published would be excluded.

That by no means guarantees that the posts are accurate or even honest, but that would be understood up front. I think it would be quite enough that we know that, at the very least, the info in the Real News thread was not corrupted by our own pontification.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by b2bonez
Problem is that the DVD forum doesn't have a red laser only spec., blue laser is a requirement for HD-DVD.
Isn't HD-DVD9 is a red laser spec? It was in HD-DVD before it was in Blu-Ray.

·
Registered
4,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland
Palladin,

I support Blu-ray and value your post. I am a big boy and I can seperate the wheat from the chaff. No matter how you post an opposing view, there will be some that will always find fault with the post. Nature of the Beast.
Thanks Wendell, for your support and perspective. I don't want to waste the time of responding one-by-one to those jumping on the dogpile, so I figure let them vent their spleen and when they're all done, I'll respond to the extent I deem necessary.

Fortunately, I can weather the 'personal attacks', as I'm not anywhere near as thin-skinned as the perpetual whiners. :)

Palladin

Chance favors the prepared mind

·
Registered
512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benwaggoner
Palladin, I think your above is along the lines of what folks were complaining about before. (...)
Why do you choose to criticize Palladin, but don't criticize admonish? His (admonish's) comparison was ridiculous and much more insulting (IMO) than anything Palladin has ever written in this thread or the big one that's been closed.

And by the way, why has no-one criticized Amir yet for his quite vicious and indeed personal attacks on Talkstr8t? Double standards?

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescale
Isn't HD-DVD9 is a red laser spec? It was in HD-DVD before it was in Blu-Ray.
Pardon, I should have been more clear. Both red and blue laser are requirements for HD-DVD players. There is no spec from the DVD Forum that is HD red laser only. (But there might be depending on how desperate they get... ;) )

b2b

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
And already this thread has gone completely to complaining about complainers and those who don't complain about complaining or the complainers. If you've got issues, take it to the forum feedback area, private messages or something else already folks while the moderators and staff figure out the best way to approach the thread issue.

·
Registered
4,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyP
yes, there is HD-DVD-9 and it was added way before BD-9
To take it a step further, HD-DVD-9 was the Toshiba/TW solution for HD disks. Both HD-DVD-9 and BD-9 are red laser specs. There would have been no blue laser solution (AOD) from the DVD Forum if not for the BDA.

Palladin

Chance favors the prepared mind

·
Registered
8,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
I see Reservoir Dogs and Kill Bill. Not sure about others. Which studios make the Tarantino films?

Reservoir Dogs was an indie film so maybe the production values aren't there for glorious HD. Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill should be better.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H
I've spoke with Alan. We have decided to re-open the original topic, but I may as well entertain arguments to simply continue here, anew.
Just wondering if you can tell us a time frame of when it will be re-opened or when you will make the decision? I would think you would have re-opened it by now and that is why I am asking.

Thanks

-Mark

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by b2bonez
Pardon, I should have been more clear. Both red and blue laser are requirements for HD-DVD players. There is no spec from the DVD Forum that is HD red laser only. (But there might be depending on how desperate they get... ;) )
There's still a disconnect here. Is there a red laser only version of BD? From what I can tell, both BD and HD-DVD can have a red laser 9 gig disk. What am I missing here?

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81
I see Reservoir Dogs and Kill Bill. Not sure about others. Which studios make the Tarantino films?

Reservoir Dogs was an indie film so maybe the production values aren't there for glorious HD. Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill should be better.
They're under the Disney label from Miramax. I also saw Hero there so there are quite a few things from Miramax that are part of the Tarantino producing lineup.

Others that I *think* I see in there are titles like Fifth Element, Ladder 49, Pirates of the Carribean, Tomb Raider (Paramount, seen on the HD-DVD list as well), XXX (presumably the sequel), I think Hitch is on the far left, Fantastic Four and Total Recall. A rather varied list all told so far. Several must-haves for me on there that I didn't get on DVD knowing that I was waiting for HD (like Kill Bill) as well as definite upgrades like Fifth Element and Reservoir Dogs.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Beveridge
The *cough* Inquirer has a blurry shot of a row of Blu-Ray releases with artwork and *gasp* branding.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=28691

Not surprising really considering the way gaming has been branded by consoles in the last few years with that prominent stripe along the top. With so many things in the market it's becoming a necessity.
Is it sad that I upconverted the pic via Lanczos to make out the titles and got about as giddy as I did when I was 10 and first saw a NES?

So far I see:

Hitch

The Fifth Element (tee-hee)

Reservoir Dogs

Kill Bill

Ladder 49

Tomb Raider

Hero

Pirates of the Caribbean

XXX

Total Recall

Dune

Lord of War

Yes, I'm pathetic. But I'm drooling over a blurry little picture.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palladin
To take it a step further, HD-DVD-9 was the Toshiba/TW solution for HD disks. Both HD-DVD-9 and BD-9 are red laser specs.
To take this even one step further, TW is the reason BD-9 exsits. I fear TW's insistance on red laser HD will [email protected] HiDef optical media.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyP
2) You are assuming people are black or white. I think Amir, Nataraj....... all have some valid and some not so valid points. Saying statement X or at point Y what someone said is FUD is not a bad thing (especially if someone explains why it is wrong). That is what forums are all about and how you distil the truth and the information.

When one puts out the accusation that a person is "spreading fud", it implies the person is being dishonest. It goes further than saying the person is factually wrong because it implies they are intentionally being factually wrong - they're intentionally deceptive. The criticism thus switches from an attack on the argument to attack on the person who made the argument.

IMO, when a member of this board says something that you disagree with, it's enough to say that you disagree, and why you disagree. There is no need to go the extra step and imply that the person is intentionally lying for an ulterior motive. (Particularly if you don't have any real evidence to backup such a strong personal attack up.)

Of course, a person could try to claim they mean "FUD" in a more general sense - that is, the information could be true, but just happens to have the effect of causing fear, uncertainty and doubt. But if that is what is meant, the word is so general it has no meaning. Anything negative about a product is FUD by that definition, said by whomever, whether truthful or not. That broad of a meaning doesn't convey the pejorative that is clearly intended by the accusation.

No, the only legitimate connotation of "FUD" is that the person is being dishonest or deceptive. It is a personal attack, an ad hominem, and IMO isn't a charge that should be used against another member of this board any quicker than if you just outright called them a "liar". That is much different than disagreeing with a person.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Hitch

The Fifth Element (tee-hee)

Reservoir Dogs

Kill Bill

Ladder 49

Tomb Raider

Hero

Pirates of the Caribbean

XXX

Total Recall

Dune

Lord of War

That's a pretty good lineup.

·
Registered
8,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Beveridge
And already this thread has gone completely to complaining about complainers and those who don't complain about complaining or the complainers. If you've got issues, take it to the forum feedback area, private messages or something else already folks while the moderators and staff figure out the best way to approach the thread issue.
Well there's a news vacuum which should be rectified shortly.

And a lot of post-mortems of the old thread going on.

Should have plenty of info coming soon.

I guess some people are disappointed that there won't be big PS3 news. It would be nice if they could show a PS3 playing Charlies Angels Full Throttle disc at CES though.

81 - 100 of 7981 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.