1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
12,176 Posts
Find a 20/60 PS3 and throw your own 120 GB hard drive in

·
Registered
920 Posts
As long as it has the 80+ % BC that the 80 gig has count me in for one with MGS4 and Ratchet and Clank.

·
Registered
529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daschrier /forum/post/12988766

Throw the EE back in and 120gb and I'll buy one.

I suspect the EE is permanently gone.

That said, I also think they're going to announce software BC at the GDC next month. They HAVE to, since they're going to want to sell PS2 games on the PSN at some point.

·
Registered
426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pernar /forum/post/12989603

That said, I also think they're going to announce software BC at the GDC next month. They HAVE to, since they're going to want to sell PS2 games on the PSN at some point.

Do you mean software b.c. for the 40 gig version?

It's not a big deal to me since my PS2 is still going strong and I can play all my PS2 games through that, but that would be a cool update, regardless.

·
Registered
234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pernar /forum/post/12989603

I'm thinking along those same lines, but I suspect that if anything, the BC will be limited to a few select titles. The really hard part about BC is ironing out the bugs and getting everything to 'just work'.

The time is about right for them to release a new SKU. The costs are going to be dropping dramatically, thanks to the new 45nm cell chip , cheaper blu-ray lasers , and the fact that they are already making a profit on the PS3 hardware today. But beyond that, they'll also have the blockbuster games coming out soon (Gran Turismo Prologue, MGS, Devil May cry, etc), so they'll cash in on the sotware side as well.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts

Quote:
and the fact that they are already making a profit on the PS3 hardware today

Just because they made a profit in their games division (which includes the PS2, PSP and PS3) doesn't mean that they are making a profit on the PS3 hardware. Perhaps it is better to say that they are making a profit despite the PS3 hardware.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape /forum/post/12989799

Just because they made a profit in their games division (which includes the PS2, PSP and PS3) doesn't mean that they are making a profit on the PS3 hardware. Perhaps it is better to say that they are making a profit despite the PS3 hardware.

Their games division more importantly includes software (profit from 1st party games as well as licensing fees from all other games). It is unlikely they are making much money money off any hardware, certainly not enough to offset PS3 hardware costs which are still assuredly in the red, even without R&D factored in.

Even so, it's a milestone that Microsoft has yet to hit (although this may be out of date... maybe they've had a black quarter by now?) with the Xbox family of hardware. So it's nothing to be sneezed at.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
MS has had back to back profitable quarters in their Gaming division.

Your definitely not up to date.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Home will be out this spring....

and LBP...the PS3 is gonna take off...

If I was an analyst, that would be my prediction.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlord /forum/post/12989723

Do you mean software b.c. for the 40 gig version?

It's not a big deal to me since my PS2 is still going strong and I can play all my PS2 games through that, but that would be a cool update, regardless.

Interesting, you may be right. If they can get a 50%BC on big titles like the 360 then they can cut the cost of the GS like the 40GB, while adding a bigger HD and DS3 to make the package looks better. I still see a $499 price with the new 120GB if it's true.

But even at $499 it's great deal compared to the 360 Elite at $449. $50 more for the best Blu-ray player on the market is pretty nice.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwest /forum/post/12990042

Home will be out this spring....

and LBP...the PS3 is gonna take off...

If I was an analyst, that would be my prediction.

I dont think theres a such thing as magic fairy dust that will make the PS3 "take off". People keep looking for that one thing thats going to flip the switch.. and Im sorry thats just never goin to happen.

What will happen is the PS3 will continually to gain popularity, gain titles (both exclusive and multiplatform) and MOST importantly drop in price. The combination of those 3 things is what will keep sales increasing.

The PS3 started with alot of mistakes, MOST of which have been corrected. Combine that with holiday sales where people are generally apt to spend more money and its made a nice comeback.

Over the past 14 months we've seen the PS3 correct the following things:

PRICE: from $599 to $399 in less than 1 year.

EXCLUSIVE GAMES: from overhyped titles that were dissapointments to the titles recieving above average ratings.. the true PS titles still yet to come

MULTIPLATFORM GAMES: from titles that were constantly perform below their 360 counterparts to being equal or in some cases better

ONLINE: from a seriously lacking interface to one thats friendlier with the promise of even more improvements, like in-game XMB and HOME

BLURAY: from being in a questionable war (and questioning its inclusion) to riding the verge of victory

CONTROLLER: from lacking rumble to the rumour it may be included in all future versions

FIRMWARE: from a crippled multimedia to a much improved one.. the highlights of which are upscaling enabled on DVDs and DIVX support

DEVELOPMENT: from a hard to program platform to one developers are now understanding and starting to tap the platforms resources

MARKETING: from the over cocky "people will buy it anyway" attitude to a more understanding "this is what the customer wants" attitude.. you see it in everything from the commercials to the deals/bundles

There are many many more improvements which I wont bother to rethink and post.. but 14 months ago the $599 PS3 was not very impressive in my book.. too much money.. too much unproven technology.. too many damn promises.

Currently the $399 model is spot on and probably what the PS3 should have been from the start. And thats matured enough overall that theres no question it will be successfull. As more features, more games, and a $299 price looms in the future.. expect the PS3 to only be more popular..

·
Registered
8,070 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW-SMOkeY /forum/post/12990711

What do you mean? Its only two at the point?

Yes but there have been many. If your average guy asks a friend what PS3 he got the answer could be 20G, 60G, 80G or 40G and now maybe 120G... thats confusing for people not following closely. (No that the comptetion ios much better of course)

·
Registered
234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape /forum/post/12989799

I think I posted the wrong link. My bad.

There is an article in one of the business mags where they estimate the cost to make a PS3 as being "around $400", which means they break even on the 40GB unit, and make some profit on the 80GB unit. They are indeed making a profit on PS3 hardware, on top of software sales.

edit: Engaget link here:
http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/12/s...-cost-in-half/

·
Registered
480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW-SMOkeY /forum/post/12990711

What do you mean? Its only two at the point?

No there are three SKU's out there. The 80GB, 60GB and 40GB. There have been a total of four SKU's so far. If this rumor is true now this will make it five. We know that the 20GB has been discontinued and that they are phrasing out the 60GB. I still see 60GB's around here.

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Inferno, you might see 60gbs out there but Sony hasn't made a single 60gb since last May. The SKU has long been discontinued. If you want one snatch it up!

·
Registered
426 Posts
In all fairness, the multiple-SKU strategy is a game both Microsoft and Sony have been playing since the launches of their respective consoles, and one which we as gamers might have to begin accepting as the reality of this new generation. The sheer variety of features in these two systems and constant reduction in production costs means that both companies have to reassess their approach periodically, not to mention take into consideration what the other is planning. It isn't quite the same as last generation, or even any console generation before that.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts