AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched and read through a number of posts but I still have a number of questions that I would love to have answered.

1. My room will be in the basement. Two of the four walls will be along the exterior walls of the basement. For those two walls I plan to use normal 2x4 stud walls. The other two walls will probably be double walls (two walls separated by 1 inch) with double drywall. The question I have is about the walls that run next to the basement's exterior walls. The problem is that I have plumbing running along those walls, so instead of building the wall within 1 inch of the exterior wall it will be spaced away from it (to keep from having to move the plumbing) by about 10 inches. I could stuff the 10" gap with insulation, but does having the home theater wall so far away from the exterior wall actually help or hurt me in terms of sound isolation.

2. My plan for the ceiling is just to slap up two sheets of drywall with Green Glue between them. From my reading here I think this is as good if not better than using resilient channel, since it should be better for stopping bass. Is this correct or have I completely misunderstood everything I have read. I considered a dropped ceiling with acoustical tile but once again that is not as good at stopping bass.

3. Is there any reason not to make angled walls. What I mean is having one end of the theater be 10 feet wide and the other end of the theater be 15 feet wide. I know for speaker design that this is fine and can actually help in reducing standing waves etc.. but can any body think (other than dealing with non-square walls for other rooms) why I shouldn't do this?

Thanks for reading and putting up with the same questions over and over but I couldn't find the answer to these questions...

-AJman

·
Registered
147 Posts
1. It will help isoaltion.

2. Yes it is good.

3. No there is no acoustic reason to not splay the wals as you described.

Andre

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.