AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have ever read any of my many rants on grounding you know I am a ground nazi. Well...... This 40 yr old kid thought he needed an xbox360 so I got one. Hooked it all up to my projector setup and went to playing. The wife was watching TV so I put on headphones Sonys, when BAM my ears snap crackle pop. And just like a little kid I put them on again BAM hit again. I look behind the couch and the power strip has the ground pin busted off. When we moved into the new house a couple of months ago I had my buddy setup the stuff in that room, for some reason he used this strip. I asked him where he got it and he said it was in a box in the garage. Turns out it was a box left over from the other owner.

Shut everything down and put in a new strip, and whew no BAM.

Did it kill me? No. Could it have? Yes. If for some reason my AVR had a short or the outlet was bad.

So all you audiophilles out there keep on busting that pin off and buying that cable BSAudio sells where it unscrews it must be safe I didnt die.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cneely8 /forum/post/0

This should be a sticky, based on the number of folks I see *still* recommending cheater plugs as solutions for ground loops (usually in the AVR forum or sub forum)

Yes it should, but as I pointed out, I have been harping on this for a long time. yet many people still choose to ignore it. I am in the pro audio biz and I have to find solutions to ground issues that do not involve AC lifts. But someone somewhere put it in the mind of the audiophille that a Jensen transformer will completely screw the sound up, what they dont understand is that the pristine recording they listen to had all sorts of instruments plugged into those jensens. And then you have idiot companies like PSAudio who sell a cable with a AC pin that unscrews and tout it as the be all end all to ground loops. With zero regard for the safety.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
lol

oh yeah

i have gotten popped before. 440 volt triple phase 120 hz. Talk about waking your sleepy ass up at 1am (used to work mid shift in the Air Force).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.