AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The weirdest thing happened on my ps3 whilst playing a br movie. For some reason it was playing everything minus the dialogue. It was strange to hear all the other stuff by itself (music, sound effects, ambiance). The only remnants of the dialogue audio were faint voices and the trailing echo.

I couldn't figure out what was going on. I tried all of the other language tracks, with the same result. Here's where it gets even more strange. When I switch to the director commentary, I could hear that just fine.

Then I remembered I had been playing around with the display settings on the ps3 to switch from video/audio via hdmi to enable the analog av plug (s-video/stereo to feed my dvd recorder). I thought I had switched it back since then, but maybe I forgot to set the audio back to hdmi.

After I went through that setup process for video and audio, again, the movie played fine. Strange, eh? I don't even know why it would work like that.

·
Registered
30,884 Posts
Depending on the video settings, you may have only been getting 2 channels of audio through the HDMI connection. I don't mean a 2-channel downmix, but just the L/R channels of the 5.1 mix (which would explain why you heard no dialogue). Commentary tracks tend to be 2-channel tracks (which would explain why everything sounded fine).

Sanjay

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Makes sense! It is really amazing how much the dialogue is isolated to the center channel, then. Yes, I know that is where it is supposed to be, to optimize intelligibility. It just seems like there should have been at least a bit of stereo dialogue in the mix, but I'm telling you, the center channel might as well be considered the dialogue track. It's THAT isolated.
If it were sing-a-long music, you could literally do karaoke with it, using this little glitch.

·
Registered
570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hanky /forum/post/15584728

Makes sense! It is really amazing how much the dialogue is isolated to the center channel, then. Yes, I know that is where it is supposed to be, to optimize intelligibility. It just seems like there should have been at least a bit of stereo dialogue in the mix, but I'm telling you, the center channel might as well be considered the dialogue track. It's THAT isolated.
If it were sing-a-long music, you could literally do karaoke with it, using this little glitch.

Of course, it varies by soundtrack. Also, some discs with famous scores have an audio selection (similar to the commentary selection) that lets you listen to the isolated score.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts