AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still figuring out what to do with my Barco 808 and am leaning back toward ceiling mounting it even though I have a drop ceiling that's 7.5 feet off the ground....I figure if I flush mount the projector against the drop ceiling, the top of a 16x9 image that's 80 inches wide will be more or less 16 inches below the ceiling height, which is okay...if I want to go to 4x3 at 80" wide I think the top of the image will be right against the ceiling, which is not great but acceptable for the few times I might do that (superbowl, etc.).

Sadly, I found out there is a heating/ac duct right where I need to hang the PJ, running perpendcular to the joists, that would be a huge problem to build a mount around or reroute (rerouting is tough due to sprinkler pipes).

But since the duct only leads to 1 or 2 vents in a basement that we usually keep closed, I figured why not just punch some unistrut through the duct so I can get right to the joists I need.

Anyone ever do this? And, is this a really stupid idea? On the one hand I think, "Hm, as long as the seal around the unistrut holes is tight, this shouldn't be too bad." On the other hand, this could just be a "Problem? Smash problem!" response driven by frustration.

c

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
How about cutting the duct back and re-using the capped end? Remove a section or two, and extend the smaller ducting that leads to the seldom-used registers. You should be able to re-use the section(s) that have the smaller ducts tapped into them, to save on labor, and use flexible duct for the extensions.

This is one of the advantages of suspended ceilings; nothing is forever.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I agree with Larry. Don't mount through the ducts. You could open yourself up to rattle problems, airflow problems(e.g. if the holes unplug somehow), etc.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I would also be cautious of putting unistrut through the ducts. I would worry that the cool unistrut might get condensation on it, and drip on the PJ.

Other factors would make this more or less likely, but the small chance would keep me from doing it.

I am more cautious than most people, though.

Best Regards,

Doug

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.