AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I purchased an 85" Sony 900H from Costco on Black Friday. Mounted it, thought I was happy, threw out the gigantic box it came in and now have realized that my living room windows create a major reflection problem on this TV.

To make matters worse, I threw a lowball offer up on Greentoe for a 950H and it got accepted. Now I'm scrambling to try and figure out how I'm going to return the 85" without the box.

Anyone have any advice?

·
Registered
12,972 Posts
I saw ppl return TVs without box in Costco store all the time.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I saw ppl return TVs without box in Costco store all the time.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
I'm wondering if that is the only way is to try and return it in store? Its 85" and I have no means to personally move it. It was purchased online and was delivered to the house. I was hoping I could have them pick it up.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I suspect that you're out of luck. I can see them writing off cheaper sets but they would return this one to Sony as part of their agreement. I don't think they'll accept it without the box. Keep it or sell it. Your oops, your responsibility.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Sell it at cost. I can't imagine that Costco would accept a return on something that large without a box. Even if they did, there's no carrier that's going to be able to pick up a TV without a box and deliver it undamaged back to Costco.

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
Sell it at cost. I can't imagine that Costco would accept a return on something that large without a box. Even if they did, there's no carrier that's going to be able to pick up a TV without a box and deliver it undamaged back to Costco.
If you ordered it online and you've had it less than 90 days just go online and fill out the information to return it. They will pick it up with no box and give you a full refund. If you prefer you can make the same arrangements over the phone. They absolutely do not require a box. Costco's 90 day return policy is a no questions asked return policy. I have returned more than one. The last was a 85 inch Samsung. That's why you buy from Costco.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
If you ordered it online and you've had it less than 90 days just go online and fill out the information to return it. They will pick it up with no box and give you a full refund. If you prefer you can make the same arrangements over the phone. They absolutely do not require a box. Costco's 90 day return policy is a no questions asked return policy. I have returned more than one. The last was a 85 inch Samsung. That's why you buy from Costco.
If that's the case, the OP can decide what's right.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So u have successfully returned an 85" tv to Costco without the box? What was the process and how did they pick up and handle the TV without the box for the return?

·
Registered
407 Posts
This was at least 10 years ago but a co-worker of mine did return a big TV to Costco without the box and they accepted it. This was before they changed their return policy on electronics to limited from lifetime. I don't think the return period had anything to do with whether or not you have a box.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
So u have successfully returned an 85" tv to Costco without the box? What was the process and how did they pick up and handle the TV without the box for the return?
Sounds like you should call Costco. The process is most likely not exactly the same as previous.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So for anyone interested, I called Costco to ask about returning the TV without the box. The customer service person did not think I would have any issues but was kind enough to call the freight company they use who would be picking up the TV to verify. They said once they call to schedule the pickup to let them know I did not have the original packaging material and they would be sure to bring something to put the TV in.

Hooray for Costco! 😎

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Glad you got it done, the X950H has much better anti-reflection performance. Just keep the box this time since a different seller might refuse to take it back without the box and packing materials to protect the TV during return shipping.

·
Administrator
19,547 Posts
People don't keep TV boxes? I have an attic full of them.

I have all my boxes. Receiver, speakers, projector, amps, DVRs... Even a 9ft long box my electric screen came in.

The only boxes I couldn't keep were for my HSU 15" subs. They were like appliance boxes on a pallet!

Reactions: pilotart

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Glad you got it done, the X950H has much better anti-reflection performance. Just keep the box this time since a different seller might refuse to take it back without the box and packing materials to protect the TV during return shipping.
Yeah I completely agree. Live and learn. I will at least keep it long enough to determine that this TV is a keeper.

People don't keep TV boxes? I have an attic full of them.

I have all my boxes. Receiver, speakers, projector, amps, DVRs... Even a 9ft long box my electric screen came in.

The only boxes I couldn't keep were for my HSU 15" subs. They were like appliance boxes on a pallet!
Dude! That 85" box was huge! Im space limited so it wasn't like I could just toss it in a closet for awhile. I have storage in th attic of the garage but the box would never fit through the opening to get it up there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts