AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After taking a sabbatical for a year I am back from living in paradise and ready to begin the design phase of my dedicated HT. This will be my second home that I've purchased with the vision of a dedicated HT.

I had a few design and acoustical challenges in my last build (Bright tile floor/ drop-ceiling) and I have a few challenges with my new space as well. I will post pics throughout my design/build phases and update on progress.

Mission - Design and build a practical and inexpensive contemporary theatre.

Challenges - Space and budget. The room dimensions are 14'2"Wide x 12' 5"Deep x 8' Atrium Ceiling and 7'2" height around the ceiling, with some big crank-out windows behind the theater seating. I solved this same problem with a removable foam insert for the casement Turns out I didn't miss the natural light in the theater and left the removable foam in, keeping the room dark at all times. I am trying to do as much of the work myself and buy inexpensive audio equipment and supplies.

SPECS
====
HT Dimensions: 12' 5"W x 14'2"D x 8' Atrium Ceiling and 7'2" height around the ceiling,

Screen - 86" DIY GOM Screen with a 1.0 gain "floated" 3" from the wall (Like Conrads build) that will allow me to hide the center and L/R front speakers BEHIND the screen.

Projector: Epson 8350 or Epson 5030UB *I had great luck with Epson 8350 in my last build.

Audio Equipment: All in-wall speakers, perhaps monoprice or other inexpensive brand with decent output. Center: 4 5 1/4" Left/Right Front: 2 6.5's each for total of 4. Same with Left/Right Rears. 2 in-wall surrounds of some sort, or perhaps those ATMOS that I keep reading about. For bass, 4 10" subwoofers, 1 15" Powered Subwoofer in custom built contemporary designed boxes, the 10s for the pound and thump, the 15" for the thunder and boom. Boxes will look like a pile of lumber for the fireplace *hopefully

HTPC - i7 with dualBoot SteamOS / Linux Ubuntu, dedicated/wired 1gb/s LAN. *Worked nice with my last set-up had harmony remote 1-button click would dim lights, fire up pc and play the media playlist. My downloader automatically renamed files to feauture-film.mkv and a batch file processed it into the correct folder for the playlist to run right. I could have a new feature film downloaded and playing with 3 clicks and about 3min of wait time.

Contemporary Design Elements - Visually clean, with simple lines. Custom media rack with invisible touch hardware with rustic yet contemporary design. (Dark evergreen woods for finishes). Contemporary design around the screen and perhaps some GOM wrapped around side speakers...not sure. Custom sub woofer boxes that play into the Evergreen / contemporary rustic design elements.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Throw Distance Issue:

I don't know if I have enough room, with the room depth and projector mounted with the lens only 11'7" from the center of the screen. If I add that 3" float, the image will be hitting a wall with a throw distance of 11'4". I believe the largest image size I can project from that distance with the 8350 is only 85"

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,682 Posts
I took a quick look at the image calculator at Projection Central for the 8350 and you can project an image MUCH bigger than you stated. You need to get familiar with that calculator. At 11-4 you can get a 114 inch diagonal image Get the projector, hang it and shine on the wall before installing your speakers and buying the screen.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts