AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OH MY GOD OH MY GOD! I'm almost peeing in my pants here (seeing as how Im from seattle)! EVERY MARINERS GAME WILL BE BROADCAST IN HDTV. Yes, I know it's in Japan, but how can you not show that in the local market too? What an incredibly exciting, yet sad state of affairs. Our local team is being shot in HDTV for a foreign country and nobody, as of yet, is showing it in the local market. All I can say is God bless the Japanese, I mean you realize that without them putting in the effort and caring enough about some American team, that there would never be an HD broadcast of a Mariner's game. Ok, I don't care how we do it, BUT EVERY SINGLE HDTV OWNER IN WASHINGTON STATE MUST WRITE TO THE SEATTLE MARINERS AND GET THAT HDTV SIGNAL SHOWN IN THE LOCAL MARKET. We can maybe shame them into doing it. A foreign country cares enough to show our team in HD and they can't even do it for the local fans??!! What a waste of a perfectly good HDTV signal being recorded! By the way, the reason the Mariners are so popular in Japan is because we have 2 of their biggest prospects: Ichiro Suzuki, and our relief pitcher Kasuhiro Sasaki. They literally think the Mariners are gods in Japan, I've been there and seen the hype. All I can say is that we MUST get these games broadcast in the local market, LETS ALL UNITE!

Japanese TV prepares to broadcast home Mariners games on HDTV

By Erin Van Bronkhorst / Associated Press

SEATTLE -- Japanese television broadcaster NHK is laying cable at Safeco Field to broadcast all 81 Mariners home games in high-definition television to fans of Ichiro Suzuki in Japan.

In addition, 55 home and away games will be broadcast in Japan by regular signal, Mariners spokeswoman Rebecca Hale said.

Suzuki became the first Japanese position player in America's major leagues when he signed a $21 million, three-year contract with the Mariners. He's a sensation in Japan, where he won his record seventh straight batting title last year.

"Many people in Japan are looking for it. Ichiro is the most famous and most loved baseball player in Japan," said Kohei Nakae, vice president of NHK Enterprises America.

"The people in Japan miss him and they are looking to see him playing," Nakae said.

The Mariners also have Japanese pitcher Kazuhiro Sasaki, who won the Rookie of the Year last season.

Nakae said NHK will pay about $200,000 to add cable for 10 HDTV camera positions at Safeco Field.

NHK already has installed HDTV cable at Yankee Stadium and Dodger Stadium to relay games to Japan when Japanese pitchers are on the mound, Hale said.

Russell Gabay, executive producer for Major League Baseball International in New York, said New York's Shea Stadium and Yankee Stadium both have cable for HDTV broadcasts in the northeastern United States.

"But this is the first time that 81 home games will be shown in HDTV outside the United States," he said. "The volume is what's remarkable."

Gabay said HDTV is "a terrific tool for baseball."

"The field is wide and the HD camera really gives you that wide look. ... with HD you can actually see all that's happening" on different parts of the field, he said.

[This message has been edited by dpak2000 (edited 03-23-2001).]

·
Registered
957 Posts
We had a similar thread a couple weeks ago. The issue is who has the rights for local broadcast. Then hope they can work a deal for the HD feed. It could be done with the help of the Mariners but I doubt that we will see it. Remember this is the same organization that lost Randy Johnson, Ken what's his name and A "Payday" Rod. But hey we have Norm Charleton back on the roster.

Rick

------------------

RJW

·
Registered
739 Posts
Yeah and we are going to finance a new stadium for Boeing so they don't leave town!

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Looks to me like the Japanese Company is paying for the HD costs, So they can transmit to their Country. Maybe if an American Company decided to shell out some dollars for this, than we can get the HD broadcasts as well.

Than again, There are quite a bit more HDTV's in Japan as there are in the US.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.