AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an idle pair of Eminence Alpha 8A woofers with glorious purple cones and I got to thinking.

I have some black transtint. If you don't know about this product you can google it, but its a dye/ toner mostly for woodworking. Its soluble in water, alcohol, lacquer, shellac etc. Water and alcohol don't add mass to a cone because they evaporate. And a few drops of dye are absolutely negligible. So out of convenience I tried water.

That's about 3 drops in an ounce. Not all that concentrated. It looks inky black wether 1 drop or 100.

I then applied two light coats using a foam brush.

The result.

I would have done more, but I could tell it was affecting the glue. I wouldn't have thought they would use a water base glue. I would have thought CA. So the rim of glue around the dust cap whitened. So next time I'll try more coats and see if alcohol causes any affect.

I don't think I've ruined the woofer, but I've certainly voided warranty. I just wouldn't want to soak it to much.

Here it is next to a truly jet black woofer.

I'll see how alcohol and more coats go. Try at your own risk.

FYI, one thingy of transtint could tint 100 woofers or more.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Man when I saw the thread title I got really excited. I sit here waiting to receiver my MTM from Erich but dreading the purple woofer and wondering what to do with it. I was thinking of using some black dye like the stuff that you throw in the wash with clothes when you want to dye clothes, like the tie dye shirts but now you have me worried about the glue. I am thinking that the alcohol blend will be worse. I use alcohol all the time to remove glue so I am worried that it will totally remove the glue. Please do let us know. Suscribed!

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This morning the glue wasn't white anymore, but the black was also a little lighter. Basically it dried.

Transtint does have other colors but I don't think they have metallic colors.

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wondered if that would be asked. I'm not going to invest that much time into this at this time. All I can say is I'm confident it's adding less than a gram to mms. Maybe if I have time I'll do an impedance sweep on the midfield and I modified version. But no FR until I use them in something.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts