AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any thoughts/opinions on whether a front projection system can be appropriate as the main TV for ones house. In other words, a TV that will be turned on and off several times a day. My big debate is between a RPTV or a Front Projection television. In my house the unit will be the centerpiece of our family room and there will definitely be ambiant light in the daytime. This is also the room in which one would want to turn on a television quickly to get a sports score or check the weather. Can this be done so that the benefits of a Front projection can make up for all the logistical hassles I will have to deal with?

· Registered
159 Posts
I really would not recommend a front projector of any technology for that purpose. They are driven by a very expensive ($300-$600) bulb that does not like the thermal cycling you would be creating. It takes 10 minutes or so for a typical projector to "warm up" and stabilize for serious viewing. The presence of ambient light poses another set of problems. You would need to purchase a pretty bright projector to overcome the ambient light. You could include a standard TV in your home theatre for the purpose of casual and daytime/lighted viewing. It would be cheaper for you buy a modestly priced low output projector for the evening HT experience and a smaller direct view or RPTV for casual use; Than to buy a high output projector with frequent bulb replacement.

That My $.02 worth

· Registered
760 Posts
Hi jsprung,

I agree with the above poster. A front projection system is really meant to be used in a dedicated theater room (ambient light and all). This is how you'll benefit the most from all it's qualities. Unless you're one of the types a-la Bill Gates where you can afford and have the gargantuan size for a front projector in every room of the house, in which case I would *still* prefer something like a nice Plasma over it. Come to think, Plasmas have come down greatly in price, lately. A nice Plasma set is what I would use as my secondary, every-day system (secondary to my dedicated Home Theater room with my front pj, that is)....Or you could always go with a RPTV. The choice is yours. Good luck!

Luca

Edited to reflect absolutely no derogatory intent to my words regarding our beloved Billy, anyone that identifies with him http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif , or anyone that identifies with positions different from mine of course, which are just as valid. If you want to shade in your living room like a black hole, and are not put off by the strain on your crts due to repetitive on/off cycles, then by all means go for it! More power to you! It will be just as great as a dedicated theater room, not unlike some living room setups of the likes you see in Audio Video Interiors mag.

[This message has been edited by propeller_beach (edited 04-26-2001).]

[This message has been edited by propeller_beach (edited 04-26-2001).]

· Registered
168 Posts
I disagree with the others.

I use a Sanyo XP21n as you describe (mostly)

It is my primary TV, and I use it 6-10 hours per day.

Yeah, bulbs are costly, but it worth it IMO.

With 2500 lumens ambient light is not a problem IMO, I think it is brighter than a tube TV under the same conditions (and no glare!). I think it looks better.

The only caveat is this on & off constantly thing. I think that is damaging as others note.

Mine goes on at 6 AM when I wake- off at 8:30 when I leave for work.

On again at 6 when I come home, off at 12-4AM when I retire.

no problemo.

Reduce your on-off cycles and this is a perfect fit IMO.

It is pricey though- $5.2k for the 200 lumen XP18n, $1k more for the 2500 lumen model

Budget $1k for a scaler too for best results.

dg

· Registered
5,574 Posts
I have an Infocus projector in my main room (combination living room and HT) with a 10foot screen. It has wall-to-wall glass, letting in a lot of light, but also has blackout drapes, which I seldom use.

I am using a 17inch computer monitor connected to my DTC-100 for daytime use of OTA and HBO-HD. The monitor was a spare in my garage.

You can pick up 17-21 inch computer monitors for next to nothing. Companies throw them away by the truckload. They work great as HD monitors (once you solve the geometry problems with a bit of tweaking).

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback. The cost of replacing the bulbs is not as big a deal as ease of use. I do have a friend who has the Dreamvision and turning it on or off is pretty easy, although it does not look good with any ambiant light. The Sanyo does sound like it would solve that problem.

-Jason

· Registered
168 Posts
Hey man,

I;m not he type to buy a porsche and keep it in the garage, know what I mean?

If I only used it two hours a day I wouldna spent 6 months salary on it.

$900 a year in bulbs doesnt concern me, the Sanyo & Quadscan brought tears to my eyes last night from Armageddon- the colors were so vibrant, the image so crystal clear...

makes it all worth it.

dg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.