AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sorry, but everytime I watch anything, I get this big dumb grin on my face. The bright, clear, contrasty, colorful image never dissappoints. I used to think I had to compromise on color, brightness, contrast and black level to get a big screen picture. But now I don't. I see MORE on the projected image than on the 32" tube. It's just hard to believe! Get one.

Sanyo 21N/Boxlight 38t with Quadscan Elite. It's a no-brainer.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Just sell your car to get one :)

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pay it out over 36 months and you'll never feel it.

------------------

Joe

"I'm a Dapper Dan man!"

·
Premium Member
25,005 Posts
Hi Joe,

The Sanyo is attractive to me for its brightness, because it would let me use a heavily tinted RP screen to tame my room light problems.

I've never seen an XP21, but I did see the Sharp 9000 and the black levels were way not good enough for me. Terrible at the hand shadow test.

I can't conceive how the Sanyo could be better, but just for kicks, how does it do?

Thanks

------------------

Noah

[This message has been edited by noah katz (edited 09-27-2001).]

·
Registered
683 Posts
Joe - I agree!!! One of the biggest mistakes we can make is watching our 32" TV's while we wait for the "perfect" projector. Think of all the FUN you will be missing while you wait!

Go look at projectors and buy what looks good to you - Sanyo, Sony, In-focus, NEC, Seleco, JVC, Plus, Dwin, Yamaha.... Does it really matter? Start with something you can afford and find pleasing to your eye. Then have fun watching movies. What more can I say.... Reed.

Plus UP-1100(Thumperized)/Homemade screen.

·
Registered
99 Posts
May i say that the sony w400q, is cheep, and gives a movie like image that would please your eye...read about it here ore on www.thebigpicture.com and you will see that this old lady still has a lot to give

Nicolas

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Noah, if you aren't happy with the black level of the Sharp, you won't be satisfied with the Sanyo/Boxlight. I have the same setup as Joe except I also have a Grayhawk.

It's good in dark movies, not great. Otherwise, it is terrific. But it sounds like you will want to stick with CRT until the next generation of DLP comes out, with improved color wheel and 12 degree mirrors. That's several years down the line. In the mean time, I'm enjoying the heck out of this Boxlight.

Dan

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Noah, all I can say is that it looks sooo much blacker than my LP350, that I think it's a miracle. No, I have never put on a black screen and waived my hand, but I never felt I had to. I have looked at the black screens on V/E and Avia several times, and it looks really black. But the acid test for me is 13th Warrior, West Wing, parts of The Matrix and Gladiator, and all those other really dimly lighted sources. They have absolutely great shadow detail. I never feel like I can't see something in the shadows, unless of course it's supposed to be pitch black. Believe me, I eventually felt that I was missing something before (with my 350), and the new projector confirmed that in spades. I can see a ton of shadow detail that I never saw in the theater. My 12 year old notices this all the time and points it out to me. I'm pretty sure that he has a strong eidetic memory (remembers visually rather than verbally). When he was two years old (no kidding), he could name nearly every make of car on the road by finding its insignia/logo. The contrast, black level, shadow detail, brightness a color made all my DVDs look like they were lighted perfectly, and I had to stop complaining about all those "poorly lighted" or "poorly transferred" discs, because they didn't seem to be in my collection anymore!

------------------

Joe

"I'm a Dapper Dan man!"

·
Premium Member
25,005 Posts
Joe,

What is directly adjacent to your screen? I'm wondering if it'ssomething other than blackout material, so the contrast between what is supposed to be black and true black is not so painfully obvious.

Thanks

------------------

Noah

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Noah, I have framed my screen with wood trim that is painted the same as the surrounding walls, a warm buttery color. Many would call it beige. Just watched "Band of Brothers"(great shadow detail) and a day of NFL Sunday Ticket on DSS on a very sunny day and it looked terrif.

------------------

Joe

"I'm a Dapper Dan man!"

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Hi Joe

I have a 21N clone and I notice the same phenomenon you reported that the screendoor seems reduced when watching HDTV. I watched the network OTA HDTV broadcast of Forest Gump on Saturday night and I have to say it was quite a thrill. My current setup has my eyeball to screen distance at 11 feet which for me is right at the threshold where the screendoor is still subtlety visible, but with HDTV its really hard to see at that same distance. Did you ever figure out what accounts for this effect.

Lenny Eckian

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Leckian, I decided it is bad/blocky scaling, and has nothing to do with screen door. That effect dissappeared when I got the Quadscan hooked up.

Noah, ok, I did the hand job test. Sure, big shadow. I've decided what must be important for shadow detail must be the range of differentiation available. 3 lumens to 2500 lumens will give you a broader range of intensity variation than 0 lumens to 700. The greater the difference in brightness between two adjacent patches, the more "detail" you will pick up.

------------------

Joe

"I'm a Dapper Dan man!"

·
Premium Member
25,005 Posts
Joe,

Yes, with enough lumens and the right gamma curve, you can have lots of shadow detail with not-so-great blacks.

I often wondered why people seem so intent on having a blackout surround when it will just make mediocre blacks look worse.

I'm going to reconsider digital pj's in light (so to speak) of your results.

Thanks

------------------

Noah

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Whatever the cause, it really works. Nothing is too dark to watch anymore. I never get that frustrated feeling, and I am fearless when buying DVDs or selecting shows.

------------------

Joe

"I'm a Dapper Dan man!"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.