AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to let everybody know i just bought a evga indtube tuner for my laptop and that it is by far the best usb tuner i have come across. i had a hellish time with three different pinnacle usb tuners and one happauge none would work correctly with Vista Media center. I can Verify that clear qam, atsc, and ntsc all work in vista media center the only thing you have to do is download the MCE Encoder from evga after you register your product and it is free. For $80.00 from circut city you cant beat it.

Pic

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
I don't see QAM listed in the specs. Does the included Cyberlink app support QAM?

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
The reason I question your assertion that this tuner does QAM is the following from the EVGA FAQs:

Answer:

Depending on your service provider certain channels are distributed in an

encoded signal that requires a QAM tuner. These channels can not be

decoded by inDtube because it has no QAM tuner.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes all the software that comes with it including the MCE Encoder is by Cyberlink.

and I dont Know Why but i have comcast cable service and no other tuner woul get my channels in mce. I'm almost positve that comcast uses qam and with this tuner i get 75 channels in mce.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by messeduprex /forum/post/14171225

yes all the software that comes with it including the MCE Encoder is by Cyberlink.

and I dont Know Why but i have comcast cable service and no other tuner woul get my channels in mce. I'm almost positve that comcast uses qam and with this tuner i get 75 channels in mce.

But, the million dollar questions are:

- The channels that you are getting, are they IN HD, or just analog?

- When you say "MCE encoder", is that a software TUNER provided by cyberlink, that allows QAM tuning in Vista Media Center?

- HOW are you tuning the QAM channels in Vista? Since VMC will not scan QAM channels natively, for anything other than the ATI cablecard tuner, what process are you using for QAM tuning?

Saying that "I can get X channels in VMC using Y card" is great, but kinda old. Lots of cards do that, but 99.99% are analog.

And given Cyberlink's reputation, I would NEVER trust any statements from them without independent verification.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm Sorry I was under the assumption that Clear Qam was what the cable company uses as its transport format that an cable channel was qam just weither encrypted or unencrypted. The MCE ENCODER i talk about is a cyberlink program its not the included tuning software that is cyberlink's TVENHANCE. but the encoder is a codec for Vista media center.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts